Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper pool shed foundation

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper pool shed foundation

I am plannig to purchase a shed for my backyard (to store all pool related stuff like chairs, floats, etc). It will be about 10 x 16 or 12 x 16 or maybe bigger if once we get there we decide on a larger one. My question is what type of base should I use? Some places suggest gravel (or rocks). I would have thought concerete but that seems to be discouraged.

Any thoughts.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper pool shed foundation

call me old fashioned, but concrete slab is the most stable. Not difficult to pour yourself, just prep the area first and then re-bar and forms before the pour.

3. Back To Top    #3

My shed has a concrete floor.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

I used 12 x 12 cement stepping stones to make my square pad
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

5. Back To Top    #5

The correct answer will probably depend on your local soil conditions, issues with freeze and ground heave, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Stone is great for prebuilt sheds in freezing climates. Even the stone and drop the shed on it. Easy peasy and super solid. Wood sheds that size are heavy and don't move and bit.
    Mine is on pavers dug into soil. Harder to do the prep getting them all level though.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Stone is great for prebuilt sheds in freezing climates. Even the stone and drop the shed on it. Easy peasy and super solid. Wood sheds that size are heavy and don't move and bit.
    Mine is on pavers dug into soil. Harder to do the prep getting them all level though.
    Thanks for the confirmation. That was the way we are planning to go.