New pool owner

desmondlewissmith

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2016
Allen, TX
I'm a month into my pool and I'm not willing to pay $200 monthly to maintain my pool. I've had a few visits to Leslie Pool Supply, and each visit they want to sell me something that costs around $50.

In the last three days I've purchased and added 3 bags of shock, 2 big buckets of alkalinity up, acid and calcium for a total of over $200.

Is this normal?

I haven't received my pool test kit yet, I ordered it on Amazon yesterday. Just wondering if people typically steer clear of Leslie Pool Supplies, or if this is just normal for new pool operation.

Dez

Desmond,

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to be... :lovetfp:

Except for maybe parts, most people here never have to go into a pool store again.

Basically, the only thing you would normally add to your pool would be Liquid Chlorine or Bleach and some Muriatic Acid. Following the TFP process also means never having to "shock" your pool on a weekly basis.

Suggest you read the "Pool School" tab at the top of this page and then return and ask all the questions you want.

Keep in mind that the TFP process is designed around having a reliable and accurate test kit, so you can test your own pool water and then add only what it needs. I have the TF-100.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You sure have come to the right place!! Those bad Pool $tores are all about your wallet BUT here at TFP we are all about your pool looking like a jewel!

I have a set of links for new pool owners. You might have seen a couple/few of them but I don't want to leave any out so here they all are:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Wait until you see how good your water looks after we get your water balanced!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.