Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Extra 3/4" pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Extra 3/4" pipe

Hey guys, I have an 35,000gal concrete inground pool and I have an extra 3/4" pipe that I'm trying to figure out. It stubs up at the equipment pad the other end comes out in the pool wall about 1/2 way and 1/2 way up the wall. Would this be for a automatic cleaner? There is no booster pump and the pipe is just stubbed up and taped off. I really can't think of what this else this could be. Any input is much appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Extra 3/4" pipe

A picture of the pipe in the pool and at the pad would be helpful. What does your PB say? Does you contract say anything about about a cleaner? Sorry for more questions than answers but.........

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

2 things come to mind, a pressure side cleaner, or a conduit for the pool light power cable.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is the line at the pool above the water line or below? Could be for a fill line, usually pressure side cleaners are run with 1.5" PVC.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have this very same thing. Your description might be exactly describe mine. I'm pretty certain it was installed for a pressure side cleaner. My neighbor has one and uses it for a pressure cleaner.
    Jon -- 28kgal, IG, AquaBright, Attached Spa, ~1990, Quad DE 80, Easytouch8, IntelliFloVS-3050, Intellichlor60, IntelliPh, Dolphin DX6, City Water, K-2006/TF-100, SpeedStir, SampleSizer, San Diego, CA

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry the pipe is 1" not 3/4" dunno why I typed 3/4". The pipe is about 18" under the water line and comes out a little less then the halfway point of the overall length of the pool. The other end stubs up at equipment pad. The pool was built in 1977 so no asking the builder, it's definitely not a conduit for lighting because I already have lighting and it's plumbing pvc not electrical conduit. I can't take any pics because I'm all buttoned up for the winter. I actually have the blueprints from when it was built that came with my house and they just say "extra pipe stubbed at pad". So I guess its provisions for a pressure side cleaner. Would I be able to run a booster pump and cleaner on a 1" pipe? Again thanks for all the help!

7. Back To Top    #7

So after looking at the blueprints again I actually found something in the notes that looks like it says "stub plumb for ps". It figures the only part of the blueprints that have a smudge on them is right there but that's my luck! So I guess I kinda answered my own question🤔.Also after some googling I found that Polaris says a 1" will work. What would be the downside(if any) of using a booster pump and p.s vac on 1" pipe! Thanks

Dropbox - Photo Oct 19, 3 08 04 AM.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL of course a smudge right THERE! I bet you are correct.........it is/was for a future PS cleaner. I don't know which one would be better, sorry.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, my booster pump is plumbed with 1" pipe. But, it would be much better to get a robot like this one, First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach