Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool installation--starting from scratch

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool installation--starting from scratch

Hi All,
    Finally broke ground today on our new pool installation--just a couple quick questions about the TFPC method when starting from scratch. I have a TF-100 on order.

Pool is an IG Fiberglass Viking Coronado, 13000 gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Cartridge filter (320), Intellichlor SWG, and Pentair electric heat pump (125 btu). I'm located in the Philadelphia suburbs.

I have been lurking here for a couple months, reading about water chemistry and the basics of TFPC. Once the pool is filled, what order do I begin balancing water chemistry? Builder will be adding the salt.

From what I've read here:
    1. Add cyanuric acid to 70-80 ppm, as well as bleach initially to keep FC levels adequate. Ground temps (and I'm assuming water temps) are averaging around 65F right now.
    2. Adjust TA to 60-80 ppm.
    3. Adjust pH to 7.2-7.8.
    4. Adjust Calcium hardness to 220-320 ppm.

Does this sound about right? Am I missing anything obvious right now?

Any help would be much appreciated. First time pool owner here, and I'd like to start this off on the right foot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool installation--starting from scratch

Check your pH, TA and calcium first and adjust as needed. Good luck with your new pool!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

You can check your fill water to know what you are dealing with from the get go.

We would LOVE to see your build as it happens!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, here is the big hole.
    Attachment 55120
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Good luck with the new pool, very exciting. Also as a new pool owner. this site has been invaluable.
    To be built Spring 2016. 750 sq foot gunite free form. Raised spa with spillover and dedicated pump, 16 foot fiberglass slide built into hill with bolder steps, approx 1,000 sq foot stamped concrete deck, Pentair VS+SVRS pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 btu gas heater, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG, Pentair Intellichem, Pentair Easytouch, Rapids 4WD pool cleaner, 2 LED Intellibrite lights.

6. Back To Top    #6

making a mess (for now) out of my back yard!
    IMG_1897.jpg
    Viking Coronado IG Fiberglass 13k gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter (320 sqft), Pentair Electric Heat Pump (125k btu), Pentair Intellichlor IC20 SWG. Located in SouthEastern PA.

7. Back To Top    #7

Love it so far! Was it fun to watch the crane do it's thing??

Since your build will go fast have you thought about a test kit yet? Is your PB providing one? If so let us know which one so we can help you fill in any holes it might have.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

yes, really interesting to watch these guys with the excavator and maneuvering the pool with it. TF-100 shipped today--i guess i'll check my tap water when it arrives to get a baseline for my chemical needs (i am filling from the hose bibs).
    Viking Coronado IG Fiberglass 13k gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter (320 sqft), Pentair Electric Heat Pump (125k btu), Pentair Intellichlor IC20 SWG. Located in SouthEastern PA.

9. Back To Top    #9

You are right on track then! Yes, do check the fill water. I wrote my down and have it at the front of the test log.

Kim