Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Shopping

1. Back To Top    #1

Little Rock AR

Cool Pool Shopping

Wanting a pool in place for next summer so I found this forum doing research on different pool vendors. Also bee nreading the pool school section of this forum. Good stuff.

We want the following or think we do:
    Fiberglass 12 x 25-27 ft (Tallman model Cancum) (Viking model KeyWest)
    Salt System
    Heat Pump
    LED Lighting

I called and left messages with 6 local pool contractors and the only one who called me back only did concrete. Then I learned about Tallman Pools assisted install program which seems like a good deal but shipping is a PITA. Tallman returned calls quickly and answered all questions. We have a contractor that can lineup equipment and subs so this may be our best option. I am working on getting quotes from a few locals to ensure the savings with assisted install are worth it.

We are currently weighing our options and doing our homework.

Advice appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Pool Shopping

Fun times ahead as well as some headaches as you have already found It does pay to get as many quotes as possible BUT you must check references and go see their past pools to make sure you are being told the real deal.

Good luck and let us know how the "shopping" goes.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Monroe, GA

Re: Pool Shopping

Welcome and enjoy the process. You are doing things correctly in coming here before your build, and wish I had found site before building.

I have a Tallman fiberglass pool, the Caribbean, which was installed this year (can see small pic of ours as profile pic). We used a local builder which has installed their pools for years. First off, the quality is great. Love the pool.

I also looked into the assisted install, but decided to go with the local guy. Like you I called multiple contractors, but a couple never returned calls - one never returned multiple calls. The one I used for this install called back the same day. For both using a pool builder (PB) or their assisted install, Tallman will send their people to oversee the actual install of the pool. They want to make sure install is done correctly, and as a result, they would not point to install as a reason to not honor a warranty.

We have 3 multi-color LED lights. We haven't used them a whole lot, but when we do, they are really cool and the grand kids love them.

I also have salt water, and really like it. As you will read here on the forum, make sure to buy one which is rated for at least 2x your pool size. You can find most brands listed here. The one the pool builder installed, was too small for my pool (I get over 10 hours of direct sunlight in peak season) and could not keep up, so they gave me a replacement, but I went with an even bigger one.

I do not have heat, but there are many on the forum that do and can help.

One thing I would suggest, is when pouring the deck, add a mount for an umbrella in at least the area where the built in seats are. Our pool has a built in table with umbrella holder by two built in loungers. The shade is great for sitting in pool with a drink and relaxing and watching the kids.

[edit] Also, really cool to watch the pool install. From the time the excavation started until the pool was installed and filled with water was 3 days. Didn't start swimming for another 3 weeks through. Filmed whole install with gopro.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.