Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No FC loss over days

1. Back To Top    #1

No FC loss over days

Now that is is fall, and the temps are cooling down a bit, I would guess that FC loss would be lower than in the summer, but is it normal to lose very little if any at all? My water is clear, and all other readings are normal, except maybe my calcium which is 120, but I have a vinyl lined pool. I tested the FC 3 days ago, and it was 6.5 (13 drops), and I just tested again, and it was 6. That is only a .5 drop in over 3 days, is this normal?
    27k gal, IG vinyl, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Liner 3 yrs old, Intermatic PF1103T Timer w/ Freeze Protection, K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: No FC loss over days

You are correct that FC loss slows down as the winter approaches. A .5 drop over three days does seem a little low to me, but it really depends on how much sunlight your pool has been getting and the water temperature.

Since FC can't increase on its own, and assuming no testing errors, I see no reason to do anything but keep testing every few days.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

3. Back To Top    #3

That seems very low. Can measure your water temp? And as said, sunlight is a major factor. I am in same basic area as you, but my temp is about 72-74 because I have been keeping covered, and I get direct sun now from about 8:30-4:00. So I am still running my SWG, although at lower %age.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If you have not added anything to your pool (no chlorine in any form), it has not been used and nothing has fallen in the pool (leaves, etc.), then .5 in 3 days with no cover on is probably due to slight testing error. Was the testing exactly 3 days later? The good news is that, here at TFP, we all now that all the extra "magic potions" that the pool stores sell are really not needed. Take Care!

Numbers ok but water has a hint of cloudiness - Page 6

Please look at post # 114 (Chem Geek) Excellent post on the margin of error when it comes to testing. The whole thread is very interesting.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013