Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Filter Should I Buy?

1. Back To Top    #1

What Filter Should I Buy?

We're throwing out our 20 year old DE filter, it developed a crack in the housing. So what should we replace it with? And is there a best time to buy, as far as sales go? 15,000 gallon above ground.
    15k gallon AG. Sta-Rite System:3 PLD50 DE filter. Hayward Power Flo LX Pump. All replaced since 2011 except DE Filter from late '90s. TF-100 test kit. Nice and Blue thanks to TFP.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Filter Should I Buy?

Another DE filter .... ?

If not dealing with DE is on your wish list, then you can probably go down to a cartridge filter and still not notice a difference in performance. The only caveat is that, for most filter decisions, the biggest one you can afford is best. This is especially true for a cart filter since you want to have to open it up and clean as few times in a given year or season as is practical.

I love my Pentair QuadDE-100 because I've gotten to the point where I only need to tear it down twice per year and clean it out. I do not have to backwash it at all. So two tear-downs per year means going through two 10-lb bags of DE per year, that's it.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What Filter Should I Buy?

I'm with JFN. I liked my old DE, I really like my Quad DE80. Dropped my power bill too. I saw a 2:1 reduction in flow friction, and was able to drop by pump speed [and therefore power utilization] to about 170 watts.
    Jon -- 28kgal, IG, AquaBright, Attached Spa, ~1990, Quad DE 80, Easytouch8, IntelliFloVS-3050, Intellichlor60, IntelliPh, Dolphin DX6, City Water, K-2006/TF-100, SpeedStir, SampleSizer, San Diego, CA