Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just Refilled- What do I need?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just Refilled- What do I need?

Greetings!

So after battling a CYA level that was off the charts (thank you Leslie's) we chose to drain and refill our pool; starting from scratch, using TFP guidelines. We just finished filling it up yesterday. We have the Taylor K-2006 test kit, and I began testing yesterday to get a "base-line" of where we are at.

So far this is what I have been able to test:

pH:7.4
    CH: 280ppm
    TA:140ppm

I obviously need to test FC and CYA when I get home today. I was curious; I purchased muriatic acid b/c I thought I may need it with the brand new water- do I? Or do I need to wait until I get the CYA level to determine?

Also, for TA- I see on the Recommended levels from TFP that we should be 70-90+... is 140 to high?

Thanks in advance!
    20' x 40' / In Ground / Freeform / 30,000 gallon
    Concrete and plaster. Dark finish (which has been discoloring to white) Built in 2003.
    Pool Pump: US Motors model# k63cxesf-4793 / 2 Hp / S.f. 1.3 / Rpm 3450 / Single speed

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Just Refilled- What do I need?

Please provide a full set of test results. TA of 140 may be high, but it really depends on how your PH reacts. With a PH of 7.4 and if the levels stay consistent during and throughout the week, then you should be fine. No reason to lower TA unless you are having issues.

Have you added CYA to your pool? Depending on your method, it could take up to one week for the stabilizer to show up on your test results. Do you have a chlorinator (which I assume you do)? How are you feeding the pool going forward (liquid chlorine, etc.)?
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013