Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fitting Leak - Repair Options

1. Back To Top    #1

Fitting Leak - Repair Options

Hi Guys, pictured is the tube that runs from my filter head. It looks the I have a lead from the threaded part of this fitting that goes into the PVC.

Is there a way to fix this without having to replace the PVC?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1006.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. The photo is turned.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I tried fixing the photo. No luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10,000 gallon IG pebble pool, 1,200 gallon raised spa, built 2006, Hayward Mega Plus 700 cartridge filter, Hayward Northstar SP4015NS 1.5hp pump, Hayward Super II 2.5hp spa pump w/blower, Jandy AquaLink RS, SpaLink RS controller, A&A Quik Leveler, Quik Clean In-floor cleaning/leaf vac, Laars LX 400 heater, Fiberstars 6004 fiber optic light. Massive delamination of ShastaDeck cool decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fitting Leak - Repair Options

Maybe try some plumbers tape?
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

I would remove the fitting and try to refit it with teflon paste. I recommend that over teflon plumbers tape. If that doesn't work, you could also drill out the existing hole and insert a larger adapter between the PVC and existing fitting.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I would remove the fitting and try to refit it with teflon paste. I recommend that over teflon plumbers tape. If that doesn't work, you could also drill out the existing hole and insert a larger adapter between the PVC and existing fitting.
    Thanks! So these fittings. Are they everyday hardware store fittings or specialized in some way? Where would I look for fittings in the store?

Afraid to take the fitting out. Its 10 years old. Afraid pipe will crumble away..
    10,000 gallon IG pebble pool, 1,200 gallon raised spa, built 2006, Hayward Mega Plus 700 cartridge filter, Hayward Northstar SP4015NS 1.5hp pump, Hayward Super II 2.5hp spa pump w/blower, Jandy AquaLink RS, SpaLink RS controller, A&A Quik Leveler, Quik Clean In-floor cleaning/leaf vac, Laars LX 400 heater, Fiberstars 6004 fiber optic light. Massive delamination of ShastaDeck cool decking.

5. Back To Top    #5

You should be able to find a matching fitting or adapter at the hardware store. What would help is to know what this line is connected to. Is this to an inline chlorinator? A SWG cell? To me it looks like a flow sensor for one of these two. If you can post the make and model of the device it's attached to, that would help.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! Its attached to the top of my Hayward Mega Plus 700 cartridge filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Another photo. I am not sure what this line is for (yet). Runs from my filter to the pipe shown above.

IMG_1007.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm at a loss for why that hose and fittings would be necessary. The gauge there on your filter is to measure pressure in the filter. I can't think of any reason to link that pressure gauge to the suction or pressure side of your plumbing... might have to put up the bat signal on this one.

9. Back To Top    #9

Is this your pool or did you inherit this?

Looks like whoever installed that gauge did so with a brass tee connection to remove air from the top of the filter. Maybe there was an air-leak issue and this was their way of solving it. Or, perhaps they thought that they needed to remove the air bubble at the top of the filter to get a better pressure read (?). No idea. But my opinion is that the entire thing is unnecessary. The gauge should simply be screwed into the 1/4" port on the air relief valve, no tee and tubing required.

On the pipe fitting end, my guess is they drilled and tapped the SCH40 PVC. Only problem is, SCH40 wall thickness is so thin that there's probably only a couple of threads there which, I'm guessing, are shot now that you have a leak. If you do rip out that connection, then I would cut the PVC to remove the drilled section and just re-attach with a standard PVC pipe coupler. It's an easy repair job.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

That fittings run/purpose is due to there being an ozone generator connected to the system suction. It bleeds off excess air that collects in the filter.

Gary, as suggested above undo the compression nut and use a pair of plyers or correct sized wrench on the other half. Should be fine, doesn't look too fragile. Re-apply the thread sealant (any of the above suggestions will work) and then re-attach the compression nut. If it does break the good news is that it's a common fitting and your local pool supply or hardware stores will have something that matched. If the threads in the PVC pipe are boogered you can get a 1/4" NPT tap and cut or reshape new ones.

Edit: If your ozone generator isn't working or missing all together (don't see it in the picture) just get rid of the entire thing and you can either cut and glue a coupling or buy a 1/4 NPT threaded plug and plug the hole. Ultrapure has a replacement kit #1008028 that comes with everything if wanting to take it that far.

11. Back To Top    #11

Also, you might want to open up that filter and give the innards a good once-over with the manufacturer's schematic in hand to make sure that there isn't something else jury-rigged internally in the filter's internal air-bleed assembly....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

Hey Team! Thanks! I did inherit this pool and it did have ozone generator that was removed. So, I will remove this mess. I would like to plug the hole in the PVC instead of cutting out the pipe section.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

There was a Ozone generator that had this set up for removing excess air from the system since it was introduced before the filter.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

14. Back To Top    #14

I wasn't aware of the need for this air bleed set up when an ozone system is inline with the system. Thanks for the insight folks! Another reason not to use ozone.

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok, I removed all the ozone fittings.

To plug the PVC, I could only find a brass plug, and I used thread sealant. Will I be OK with a brass fitting in PVC? Thanks!

IMG_1009.jpg

16. Back To Top    #16

Sure. Brass in PVC is OK. I prefer PVC in PVC. It is inert, and it will expand and contract with heating and cooling more in synchronization. This is a very minor nit, so your brass will be just fine.
    Jon -- 28kgal, IG, AquaBright, Attached Spa, ~1990, Quad DE 80, Easytouch8, IntelliFloVS-3050, Intellichlor60, IntelliPh, Dolphin DX6, City Water, K-2006/TF-100, SpeedStir, SampleSizer, San Diego, CA

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Brass is good, I've never seen a pvc plug only plastic and if the sun bakes your pipes it'll soon degrade and fall apart. Good job Gary.