Brown water coming out filter / 1st start

croco

Jan 13, 2016
gauteng
Hi

When the pool initially starts, a dark brown water is ejected into the pool. Clearly some form of sand. Red sand. It clears up after a few seconds.
When i start backwash, same thing. a Thick brown mud water is ejected. After a few seconds... it turns clear. I rinse... and repeat a few times. Set pool to filter. BAM! Thick brown mud water is ejected into the pool.

Does this mean i have a leak in the pipes somewhere?
Is my filter busted?

Where is this stuff coming from. I recently replaced the sand in the filter.

If you had a leak in a pipe, you should have some measurable water loss over time.

You're following the backwash, then rinse for a minute, then back to filter cycle when backwashing?

Was the replacement sand #20 sized and washed pool sand?

Hi.

I lose about 4 - 6cm of water in a 55000litre pool every week. Not sure if its evaporation. But i have to top up weekly.
Yes the sand was bought from a reputable pool shop. So im assuming it has those requirements.

My process is, backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse, filter

So i reckon there is something wrong with my sand filter.
Backwash pumps out thick brown mud water. Does not matter how long i backwash, if i filter again same story.

My pool went from crystal clear to bright green in 5 minutes. After having backwashed and then set to filter.
Will buy new sand replace. See if that helps. I can then also inspect the bottom fins to look for any damage.

Have you tried deep cleaning your filter

First and foremost if your pool has turned green it could be a chemistry issue. What are using to test your water?

simple test strips. got tired of the drops method. Will have to call someone to come redo the piping. Sadly the system is extremely old and just unscrewing a pipe to perform a deep clean is not possible. Everything is stuck in place and the slightest change will result in perma leaks.

Appears to be in South Africa...?

4-6 cm water loss in a week is quite a bit. Depending on the climate, it might indicate a leak. If the weather is hot and dry at the moment, it might be normal. Try doing a 'bucket test' -- essentially filling a bucket with water, setting it on a step in the pool in order to give it the same environmental conditions as the rest of the pool, and then observing if water drops more quickly in the pool than in the bucket.

- - - Updated - - -

simple test strips. got tired of the drops method. Will have to call someone to come redo the piping. Sadly the system is extremely old and just unscrewing a pipe to perform a deep clean is not possible. Everything is stuck in place and the slightest change will result in perma leaks.
You said you recently replaced the sand -- how did you do that if you can't open up the filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.