Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater

Hello folk,
    We had a great summer with the pool and adding the heater was almost as enjoyable as adding the deck a few years ago! My question is: I am closing and want to add chlorine to shock level. When I distribute this will it harm the heater? I have no way to divert the water away from the heater. Any help?
    Melinda
    AG AquaLeader 21x43 Oval 54" deep. Hayward 2speed 2HP pump,Hayward 350,000 BTU NG Heater, Cartridge filter. Since August 2012. TFT 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater

No, FC up to shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart, will not harm any of your pool equipment. Low PH is the most likely thing to harm your heater, keep pH 7.2 to 7.8 at all times to avoid damage.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

This will not hurt the heater. Be sure to completely drain out the heat exchanger during closing. I'm not sure if this is your model, but check page 40 of this manual for details. http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...stallation.pdf The instructions say to simply drain but I open the valve when blowing out return lines to completely get all the water out of the heater.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the info. Thinking of having someone winterize the heater. I have had no problem doing it myself from day 1 but the heater was hard plumbed and I don't want to disassemble it and reassemble in the spring. They said they would put antifeeze in it. I really am not sure what they do, will antifreesze contaminate my pool?
    AG AquaLeader 21x43 Oval 54" deep. Hayward 2speed 2HP pump,Hayward 350,000 BTU NG Heater, Cartridge filter. Since August 2012. TFT 100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If antifreeze gets in the pool when opening in the spring it will use up quite a bit of chlorine to oxidize it. If you SLAM the pool in the spring when you open it will be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

What I do when opening in the spring is start up the pump with the MPV in the Waste setting first. That way, any antifreeze on the suction side goes to waste. The minimal amount that is in the return lines (sometimes I don't even put any in the return lines) goes in the pool. It's RV antifreeze which is not toxic like automotive antifreeze. It may consume a little FC for a week or so until it dissipates. There's no need to put RV antifreeze into the heater intentionally. Thoroughly draining/blowing out is enough.

Draining the heater is very easy and requires no disassembly. The valve is located on the outside of the unit. Looks something like this:

Only need to turn the "wings" part counter-clockwise to allow the heater to drain.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons