Got a new liner (FINALLY) and need to close. Help!

DontFillitin

Platinum Supporter
May 7, 2015
Birmingham/AL
Ok, I read closing in pool school, but those of you know me know I always have questions and doubt my own understanding. I got a new liner Thursday and the water level is back up. Leaves are a huge problem here. The pool store said (I know lol) said to just get the chlorine and TA up, and to not worry about anything else. My gut tells me to get PH and CYA up to level as well. They also didn't recommend draining below the returns, which I honestly don't think has ever been done in this pool anyway. While Temps do get below freezing here, it usually isn't for very long. If it does, can't I simply turn on the pump overnight? I already saw that I need to get polyquat so I guess today is out of the question unless I can add it after the cover is on. I had planeed to pull the cover back after the leaves finish falling and test and treat, then again after the new year. Am I making this more complicated than it should be as usual?20161015_154918.jpg

Hi,
Us folks in the southern region of the US really dont need to "close" our pools. Some folks do cover it though.
There is no need to drain below the returns.....

I would recommend to balance the pool (dont worry too much about the CYA though), then bring FC up to SLAM level, then cover it. You can add polyquat if you want to. (when you add it isnt of any large importance).
Then cover it.

When the temps threaten to drop down to freezing, then turn your pump on and you'll be fine. Moving water requires lower temps for longer periods to freeze.

A couple years ago, we had temps of 20 and below day and night, for more than a week, and I didnt have any problems at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.