Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got a new liner (FINALLY) and need to close. Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Got a new liner (FINALLY) and need to close. Help!

Ok, I read closing in pool school, but those of you know me know I always have questions and doubt my own understanding. I got a new liner Thursday and the water level is back up. Leaves are a huge problem here. The pool store said (I know lol) said to just get the chlorine and TA up, and to not worry about anything else. My gut tells me to get PH and CYA up to level as well. They also didn't recommend draining below the returns, which I honestly don't think has ever been done in this pool anyway. While Temps do get below freezing here, it usually isn't for very long. If it does, can't I simply turn on the pump overnight? I already saw that I need to get polyquat so I guess today is out of the question unless I can add it after the cover is on. I had planeed to pull the cover back after the leaves finish falling and test and treat, then again after the new year. Am I making this more complicated than it should be as usual?20161015_154918.jpg
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Got a new liner (FINALLY) and need to close. Help!

Hi,
    Us folks in the southern region of the US really dont need to "close" our pools. Some folks do cover it though.
    There is no need to drain below the returns.....

I would recommend to balance the pool (dont worry too much about the CYA though), then bring FC up to SLAM level, then cover it. You can add polyquat if you want to. (when you add it isnt of any large importance).
    Then cover it.

When the temps threaten to drop down to freezing, then turn your pump on and you'll be fine. Moving water requires lower temps for longer periods to freeze.

A couple years ago, we had temps of 20 and below day and night, for more than a week, and I didnt have any problems at all.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for confirming what the marble in my head was trying to say, Dave!
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Trust the marbles!
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006C.

5. Back To Top    #5

It's only one

6. Back To Top    #6

Use whatever you've got!
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006C.

7. Back To Top    #7

BUT that marble did help you find TFP were there are a couple of other marbles rolling around ready to help!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

That looks like "dynasty blue granite", depending on the distributor. Absolutely get your ph dialed in, that is a quick fade pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Use whatever you've got!
    Yes yes!

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    BUT that marble did help you find TFP were there are a couple of other marbles rolling around ready to help!
    Very true!

Quote Originally Posted by PoolguyinCT View Post
    That looks like "dynasty blue granite", depending on the distributor. Absolutely get your ph dialed in, that is a quick fade pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the heads up! It (was) 7.6 iirc