Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains

. Here is the stain problem after all is clear. Not sure if we should just let it go as is over the winter?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    44K gal, IG vinyl, sand, Waterway Pump, 25yr, Taylor K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains

The stains appear to be organic, but sometimes a pic doesn't do us justice. You might want to post a full set of test results to go along with this as others will probably want to know as well. You mention "after all is clear", so I'm assuming you recently cleared an algae situation? If so, that would tend to indicate residual organic staining at the bottom that may require a slightly elevated FC level for a couple days or so to help resolve. As a test, you could always try rubbing a chlorine tab on one area, making sure to not let the tab sit in one spot too long, but enough to see if the stain reacts to the chlorine tab. If it does, it's organic which would require the elevated FC level to help remove it - along with daily brushing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

There's another photo in my previous thread here, and the background on all the slamming I've done this summer - Green pool, I'm losing faith in the fight!! - Page 20. What I'm gathering is that the stains were a result of chlorine pucks and too much shocking by the previous caretaker. There is more staining than blue spots, but the blue part looks great. Needless to say, once I got all the levels corrected, and it was crystal clear, when I saw all the staining, it was quite disheartening. I'll check all the levels again today and see where it is.

4. Back To Top    #4

The stains are likely either organic or iron. More here about how to check for each type and treat them, Pool School - Stains in Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Just did another test -

FC - 10
    pH - 8+ (added 2 drops to get it to normal)
    Alk - 90ppm
    CYA - 100

Seems like everything's a little off, although the water is clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you try the suggestions in the other post Swampwoman gave? She went into a lot of detail. I battle iron stains so I feel your pain for sure!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

7. Back To Top    #7

Swampwoman has been a great help and I wanted to, and it sounded like it might have helped figure it out, but after spending hundreds of $$ on bleach alone over the course of a month, I couldn't bring myself to buy anything else at this time without knowing for a fact that it would actually fix it. I was hoping that it would clear itself up eventually, or I could find an alternate, less costly solution.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You cannot treat the stain correctly until you identify it first. The "Stains" article in pool school tells you how.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi Laurie
    We can all understand feeling exhausted once you have finished a long slam, most of us have been there at one point or another, or helped someone through it. It can feel just like this at times

When you feel refreshed and ready to tackle the stains the first step is identify them
    There are different methods to treat based on what the stain is
    You can try the dry acid, vitamin c and chlorine puck tests described in the Pool School - Stains in Your Pool article. This is as cheap as you can get as they will all be readily available to you from local stores
    From there I am sure Swampwoman or others can advise on the best course of action

We are all about trying the most simple and economical measures first. We like to save money for more pool toys

The stains look bad, but they arent hurting anything so when you feel ready do the tests and then ask what is the next step

BTW well done on your slam, water looks fantastic
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit