Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Should I close, or wait a little longer?

  1. Back To Top    #1
    hauntedmansion138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Weyers Cave, VA
    Posts
    31

    Should I close, or wait a little longer?

    My AG pool is at 60 degrees and I was ready to close today but two things have me concerned.

    Obviously, being my first time closing ever, I want to be sure.

    Temps outside are due to be low to mid 80s this week and then back down next weekend to high 50s to low 60s during the day and high 40s at night.

    ive brushed the pool and gotten it to an 11 ppm for FC. PH is 7.3. TA 80 and CYA 45.

    The pool has been sparkling ALL season with no issues and I have no trees or debris in it and usually don't have anything but a little sand (from pump I'm guessing)

    Should I just wait until next weekend because of the outside temps, or is it okay to close? If I should close, can I reduce pump run time? I run it 8 hours overnight currently.

    Is the FC level still too low or okay to close?
    16x32 52" AG oval Century pool (14400 gallons we think). Vinyl liner. Hayward Pro Series sand filter S166T model. Hayward Power-Flo Marrix SP151021XEHC 1HP pump. Had the pool since 5/27/16. TFT-100 test kit. Water delivery initially, but use well water to top off when needed.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    hauntedmansion138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Weyers Cave, VA
    Posts
    31

    Re: Should I close, or wait a little longer?

    Anyone?
    16x32 52" AG oval Century pool (14400 gallons we think). Vinyl liner. Hayward Pro Series sand filter S166T model. Hayward Power-Flo Marrix SP151021XEHC 1HP pump. Had the pool since 5/27/16. TFT-100 test kit. Water delivery initially, but use well water to top off when needed.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    TFP Guide
    Catanzaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Howell, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,161

    Re: Should I close, or wait a little longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmansion138 View Post
    Anyone?
    You are fine to close. Are you adding polyquat and what type of cover are you using?
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013

  4. Back To Top    #4
    hauntedmansion138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Weyers Cave, VA
    Posts
    31

    Re: Should I close, or wait a little longer?

    I am not adding polyquat based on the mixed messages on here about needing it. Is that okay?

    I am not sure on the cover. It's still in the box because I wasn't sure about closing, so we are waiting until next weekend.
    16x32 52" AG oval Century pool (14400 gallons we think). Vinyl liner. Hayward Pro Series sand filter S166T model. Hayward Power-Flo Marrix SP151021XEHC 1HP pump. Had the pool since 5/27/16. TFT-100 test kit. Water delivery initially, but use well water to top off when needed.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Teald024's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    66

    Re: Should I close, or wait a little longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmansion138 View Post
    My AG pool is at 60 degrees and I was ready to close today... Temps outside are due to be low to mid 80s this week and then back down next weekend to high 50s to low 60s during the day and high 40s at night.
    I am in the same exact situation here in Ohio. I decided to close solely because it was what I had already planed to do this weekend. My water temps were as low as 56 last week and crept up to 61 by the time I put the cover on it at 5pm this afternoon. It may creep up some more this week with the high day temps, but I'm hoping it cools off at night. I didn't put the skimmer lid under the cover, so I could check things if I really feel the need.

    .
    Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl J-hook liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS ... Liquid Chlorine... Baracuda 1500 vac, Installed August 2016 ....CYA/Chlorine Chart...Recommended Levels... Basic Care Schedule...Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Saturn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    413

    Re: Should I close, or wait a little longer?

    I usually close in early October (I just closed yesterday; water temp was 64). Since switching to a solid cover years ago I've never had an issue closing with water temps in the 60's. The water is always clear when I reopen in early May. And yes, I add 60 % polyquat at closing.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

  7. Back To Top    #7

    TFP Guide
    Catanzaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Howell, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,161

    Re: Should I close, or wait a little longer?

    The two items mentioned (Solid cover and PolyQuat), again IMHO, is what helps prolong the formation of algae in the Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer because of time. Spending a few dollars on PolyQuat 60 is well worth it to me, even if it is not really needed. The cover, is probably one of the more important items that someone needs.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Saturn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    413

    Re: Should I close, or wait a little longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    The two items mentioned (Solid cover and PolyQuat), again IMHO, is what helps prolong the formation of algae in the Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer because of time. Spending a few dollars on PolyQuat 60 is well worth it to me, even if it is not really needed. The cover, is probably one of the more important items that someone needs.
    Agreed. Going from a mesh cover to a Solid cover made a big difference.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

  9. Back To Top    #9
    hauntedmansion138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Weyers Cave, VA
    Posts
    31

    Re: Should I close, or wait a little longer?

    I have a solid cover so that's good. I am going to hold off on the polyquat this time and see what happens.it was 86 today, and scheduled for the same tomorrow before dropping on Friday to normal temps. Sunday to close
    16x32 52" AG oval Century pool (14400 gallons we think). Vinyl liner. Hayward Pro Series sand filter S166T model. Hayward Power-Flo Marrix SP151021XEHC 1HP pump. Had the pool since 5/27/16. TFT-100 test kit. Water delivery initially, but use well water to top off when needed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •