Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teledyne Laars heater ignites hard

1. Back To Top    #1

Teledyne Laars heater ignites hard

I called the home warranty because the heater pilot would not ignite. They sent a pool guy. He replaced the pilot assembly.

Now the pilot lights, then when the pilot ignites the burners... oh man, lookout. Boom! The whole house shakes and the exhaust stack blows off the top.

I'm not calling that dude back out.

Any suggestions before I start throwing money at it?

Turn down the flow to the burners or pilot maybe?
    Last edited by EAnton; 10-15-2016 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
    Eric Anton, Coppell, TX
    15K gal IG plaster Pool & Spa, Century 1081 2.20 hp pump, Nautilus NS60 DE filter, Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESC gas heater, Polaris 280 with PB4-60 booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Teledyne Laars heater ignites hard

Don't mess with the adjustments. Sounds like the unit may need to be disassembled and cleaned. I am going to guess the culprit is clogged/dirty burner tubes.

Dan
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

The technical term is "delayed ignition." The homeowner term is "Holy ... !"

Causes could be dirty burners or crossovers, misaligned burners, or pilot, wrong pilot burner, etc.

You would probably be better off with an hvac guy rather than a pool guy. It's basically just a gas boiler...

Also, I'm personally not a fan of home warranty companies. They specify the rates they pay to their subs, and it's usually pretty low. Contractors sign up with them for more business and soon find out they can barely make any money, especially when the correct repair is often not approved in favor of the band-aid.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys.

I'm not a big fan of home warranty but it came with the home purchase, it's a local firm and they actually have an HVAC contractor we've had out a few times now and been pretty happy with. We've got the warranty another month so I'll see if they will send the HVAC contractor out to inspect.
    Eric Anton, Coppell, TX
    15K gal IG plaster Pool & Spa, Century 1081 2.20 hp pump, Nautilus NS60 DE filter, Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESC gas heater, Polaris 280 with PB4-60 booster

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay. Now I'm just mad.

I went out this afternoon and popped off the front cover to check if everything looked clear and aligned.

The guy didn't reattach the pilot assembly to the mounting bracket. It was just hanging there, held up by the supply line, way out of position. No wonder...

I found the mounting screw on the floor of the heater, fastened the pilot into position and now it fires up silky smooth.

The Home Warranty is getting phone call Monday AM
    Eric Anton, Coppell, TX

6. Back To Top    #6

That's too bad about the service you received. Glad to hear that you were able to solve it without another service call, though!