Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A Better CYA Test Kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

A Better CYA Test Kit?

Is there a better way to test your CYA? I find it to be somewhat subjective imagining when that black dot dissappears? Is there something that is more of an exact science? I would love to see more tests like the DPD-FAS Chlorine. No guess work involved with that one.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A Better CYA Test Kit?

No, there isn't really a better test. Even thought most people have trouble with it at the start, with enough practice the black dot disappearing test can be done quite repeatably.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I expect somebody has worked up an electronic photosensor to measure the turbidity and that could be calibrated to CYA level. I'm not a hardware guy, but it seems like the kind of thing a homebrewer would be inclined to try. I might even know somebody with that inclination, actually.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

The electronic testers, including a number of models with photosensors, have more trouble with the CYA turbidity test than they do with the color change tests. Even the fancy electronic testers are no match for an experienced user reading the Taylor CYA test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I was at a good pool store (a ways from my town), and I was able to purchase a CYA test just like the pool stores use. I like it because the dot moves up down and I can have more than one try at placing the dot just right. Cost $22. $18 on line but there may be shipping charges.
    hope this helps, Steve.
    20K gallons,plaster, IG, Posi Flo 100 cartridge filter, 3/4hp pump. , Polaris 280?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    I expect somebody has worked up an electronic photosensor to measure the turbidity and that could be calibrated to CYA level. I'm not a hardware guy, but it seems like the kind of thing a homebrewer would be inclined to try. I might even know somebody with that inclination, actually.
    --paulr
    There are turbidity meters that can read the CYA test but they are expensive. Turbidity seems to be much harder for a meter to read than color is. it seems. With the inexpensive meters like the ColorQ you get what you pay for.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by S Ray
    I was at a good pool store (a ways from my town), and I was able to purchase a CYA test just like the pool stores use. I like it because the dot moves up down and I can have more than one try at placing the dot just right. Cost $22. $18 on line but there may be shipping charges.
    hope this helps, Steve.
    This sounds like one of the LaMotte test kits. The CYA test in that kit has one tube inside another that you slide up and down. As you say, it lets you adjust the amount of liquid above the black dot so you can find when it disappears more easily. I liked that test, but the tube was pretty small (narrow).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

I use a Taylor 4088 myself, very similar to the Pentair/Rainbow:

http://tinyurl.com/ntuytz

9. Back To Top    #9

You can view the CYA test several times per test. Simply pour the sample from the view tube back into the dispenser bottle and start filling the view tube up again. This can be done several times in a row for a couple of minutes after the sample has been mixed.

The Taylor 4088 is cool, however it uses more reagent than the standard view tube.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Jason.

That's good to know that I can do it several times for a couple of minutes afterwards. I wondered about that.
    My problem is that after a while I can't tell if I'm imaging the appearance of the dot or if it's actually still visible.

I've gotten better at it, and as I've continued diluting my pool, my CYA is dropping accordingly. It's around 60 now, which is consistent with the cheapo test strips I bought the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You can view the CYA test several times per test. Simply pour the sample from the view tube back into the dispenser bottle and start filling the view tube up again. This can be done several times in a row for a couple of minutes after the sample has been mixed.

The Taylor 4088 is cool, however it uses more reagent than the standard view tube.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rbdeli
    That's good to know that I can do it several times for a couple of minutes afterwards. I wondered about that.
    My problem is that after a while I can't tell if I'm imaging the appearance of the dot or if it's actually still visible.
    When I get to that not-sure stage, I wiggle the view tube a little, so the black dot moves around relative to the top of the tube (as you look down into it). Eyes are good at catching this kind of motion. If I can tell it's still there, add a bit more to the tube. If it's all gone, read off the number.

I repeat the view-tube part 2-3 times just to check my consistency. But since I started doing the wiggle thing, it's been very consistent every time.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

12. Back To Top    #12

Good suggestions.. Thanks!

13. Back To Top    #13

I usually go for a second opinion. I do the test then pour the sample back into the bottle and hand it over to my wife and she tries. Then we compare results. Most of the time we agree or are very close so I am happy with the results.
    Patriot Arcadia 15' round 52". Pentair Clean and Clear 100 sqft Cartridge filter, 1HP Optiflow pump, Goldline Aquatrol SWG. 2 - 4'x20' solar panels roof mounted. All rigid PVC plumbing. Resin Solar reel with 8mil Thermo-tex solar cover. 14 x 12 deck.

Ovation 15'x24'x52'' AG. Pentair System 3 150 SQ foot cartridge filter, 1 1/2 HP pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have gotten really good, and accurate as my method is repeatable, at performing the CYA test. I look at the edge of the black dot and not the center. When I can no longer discern the difference between the edge and the surrounding color I stop and read the results.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

15. Back To Top    #15

I have the Pentair-Rainbow reagent kit with the sliding test tube. Is the Taylor R-0013 reagent compatible with the Pentair sliding test tube? For that matter, is the Pentair-Rainbow reagent compatible with the Taylor sliding test tube? I find by using this type of test tube, it is easier to identify the black dot.
    20x40 rectangle IG vinyl, 22000 gallons, non-SWG, sand filter, 1.5 hp Hayward super pump, self-priming,
    TF-100 test kit, speedstir, Dolphin Deluxe 4 Robotic pool cleaner, Poolblaster Ivac M3 vacuum.