Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: which RayPaK heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

which RayPaK heater?

I have searched and searched and just need a bit of advice....

From reading on here, a Raypak gas heater is the way to go. So which one? We have a 15K gallon pool and live in South Texas where we will only use it from October to March. Thoughts? My instinct is to to buy the 40K BTU one for fast heating. Is it like a SWG where bigger is better?
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    -Brian-
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: which RayPaK heater?

You are on the right track. It will basically cost the same amount of money to heat your pool. A bigger heater will just do it faster.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys!
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Since you do have a SWG I would suggest looking at a Cupro-Nickel model (as opposed to copper), the heat exchanger is more resistant to corrosion that can come from chemical imbalances and salt corrosion. Might be a little more upfront but could be worth it long term. Raypak is a great brand choice as well, quality heaters.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PSW View Post
    Since you do have a SWG I would suggest looking at a Cupro-Nickel model (as opposed to copper), the heat exchanger is more resistant to corrosion that can come from chemical imbalances and salt corrosion. Might be a little more upfront but could be worth it long term. Raypak is a great brand choice as well, quality heaters.
    Any models you would recommend?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The Raypak 406A series, and model # 014941 is the Cupro-Nickel version. That model is Natural gas and also standard emission, I'm assuming you wouldn't need the Low NOx version which is a code requirement in some counties.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have one, its 4 or 5 years old, gas has been off to it for about 3 months, I fixed the gas line and now it will not fire up. The pilot lights and then goes out and I get the IGN code. I pulled the front off and there is a lot of rust. Going to try to clean it all and see if that helps I must say not to happy

9. Back To Top    #9

Well after looking into it gas is not a real option for us. Gas line is about 100 feet away and to have it run to the equipment pad would be super expensive. Looking into heat pumps now. I believe in my case a heat pump is almost as good an option but mostly because we're in such a warm climate. Any models/brand suggestions would also be helpful.

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree that a heat pump will work very well in your location. It will allow you to cheaply maintain your water temp all the time. Heat pumps are basically just a home HVAC heat pump with a water exchange instead of an air exchange. You can stick with Hayward if you are happy with the brand.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I agree that a heat pump will work very well in your location. It will allow you to cheaply maintain your water temp all the time. Heat pumps are basically just a home HVAC heat pump with a water exchange instead of an air exchange. You can stick with Hayward if you are happy with the brand.
    Thanks PoolDV! I have been happy with all of my Hayward products. I have read that some models heat and cool. Any suggestions on model?

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, they are available with and without cooling mode. If your pool is too warm in the middle of summer cooling is a good option. I use my solar panels to cool my pool in August by running them at night.

It looks like the HP31154T, here, HeatPro Heat Pump | Heaters | In Ground Pool Heaters - Hayward Pool Products, would be the best option if you are looking for cooling also.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks PoolDV! That sounds like exactly what I need. They are proud of them, no doubt! Time to start saving.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, they aren't cheap. Check INYO Pools and Sunplay. They usually have pretty good prices and both do a great job.

If you are willing to be diligent with the cover and plan ahead you might do ok with with a smaller heat pump like the HP50TA or HP50HA. I have the HP50HA and it heats my pool (20k gal) about 1 degree every 3 or 4 hours and seems to be able to maintain temp so far. But, I just installed it a few weeks ago and don't have a lot of experience with it yet. It also has cooling.

More here, Heaters | Above Ground Pool Heaters - Hayward Pool Products

The deal with heaters is that it costs about the same money/energy to heat your pool X degrees no matter what size the heater is. A bigger heater will just do it faster.
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

great to know. Thanks pooldv!