Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water level management after closing

1. Back To Top    #1

water level management after closing

Hi,

our pool was closed a few weeks ago and we have a loop loc mesh cover. When the pool was closed, PB didn't lower the level, basically it is in the middle of skimmer. The reason was to maintain the water a few inches above the top stairs since I have vinyl pool.

Now we had some rainy days, and I checked the water level today, it is at the top of skimmer opening now. I am sure we will get more rains over the next month, and my pool likely will overflow. Should I do anything? Called the PB, he just said overflow is normal. No worries.

Thanks.
    Massachusetts
    Vinyl Salt Pool 2011; IC40 SWG; Raypark gas heater; Sta-Rite Dynapro pump; Sta-Rite System 3 Filter S7M120; Pool size: app 25000 Ga
    first time pool owner. First year too.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: water level management after closing

If you want to drain some water passively and have a low area to direct it to, just use a hose as a siphon. Just don't walk off and forget it though or you'll drain wayyyy more than you wanted to.

Yippee
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3

Talked to PB again today. He said water should seep through the top of the skimmer to the soil. A pool constructed correctly should never overflow. He even said you should be able to see where water seep through the skimmer. Sounds like very professional. But is that true?
    Massachusetts
    Vinyl Salt Pool 2011; IC40 SWG; Raypark gas heater; Sta-Rite Dynapro pump; Sta-Rite System 3 Filter S7M120; Pool size: app 25000 Ga
    first time pool owner. First year too.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by shiyang100 View Post
    Talked to PB again today. He said water should seep through the top of the skimmer to the soil. A pool constructed correctly should never overflow. He even said you should be able to see where water seep through the skimmer. Sounds like very professional. But is that true?
    What your PB is basically saying I think is, your skimmer lid is lower than the pool edge lip. Therefore the water will always exit there and just seep into the ground.

Some pools have a built in overflow port and some don't. Mine doesn't and I use the garden hose siphon method to keep it out of the skimmer.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I would keep the water level slightly above the bottom of the skimmer. The vinyl liner is tucked in between concrete or pavers and steel walls. The water will drain outside the panels and into the ground. Depending on your water tables, this could cause problems in the future.

Drainage is essential around a pool. If not, my township would have not put me through rerouting water and away from the pool. The ordeal cost an additional $5,000 and 1 years worth of time. It was quite a project, which included a drainage pit.

If this was my pool, I would drain and not allow to spill under the patio. Unless your liner is sealed to the extent that water would rise above the patio and drain off because of the slight pitch. Personally, I drain my water if the level is too high. You could also drain when the water reaches the top of the skimmer and bring down to the middle. Everything depends on what you are comfortable with.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013