Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Filter Combination Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Filter Combination Question

Can this 2-Speed/1HP Pump offered by Amazon: Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed

Be swapped into this Hayward 21" Pump/Filter Combination set-up also offered by Amazon:Hayward Pro Series S210T93S 21-Inch Top-Mount Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System with 1.5-HP Matrix Pump

What sayeth all ya'll
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; 1/2 HP Intex Pump 1600 GPH; 12" Sand Filter, Intex in pool skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pump Filter Combination Question

Quote Originally Posted by Schnozz View Post
    Can this 2-Speed/1HP Pump offered by Amazon: Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed

Be swapped into this Hayward 21" Pump/Filter Combination set-up also offered by Amazon:Hayward Pro Series S210T93S 21-Inch Top-Mount Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System with 1.5-HP Matrix Pump

What sayeth all ya'll
    Since the pump is separate from the filter, yes you can use the 1HP 2-speed pump with the 21" sand filter, and either keep the 1.5HP pump as a backup, or sell it.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

dom.....I was looking back at the forum. The one I asked about is the same Hayward Pump/Filter that you and singingpond picked up I think....

I was just thinking that the 2-speed pump was a nice upgrade....and inexpensive too...

thanks for responding
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; 1/2 HP Intex Pump 1600 GPH; 12" Sand Filter, Intex in pool skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, a 2 speed pump is a very nice upgrade. A 2 speed pump uses 1/4 of the electricity on low as it does on high.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Just missed it. The Hayward 21" Filter/Pump combo is back up to $433.00

If you snooze (or are indecisive) you lose!
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)

6. Back To Top    #6

We'll look forward to your next pump/filter thread.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Uh-Oh....Apparently I'm developing a reputation....LOL
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)

8. Back To Top    #8

Ha! We've got all winter to do this.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I am actually quite tempted to buy the 1 hp 2-speed pump you mention. I had previously looked a bit at getting a compatible 2-speed motor to swap into the pump that comes with the 21" filter setup (was thinking of doing this a year or two down the road). The best price I found so far on a 2-speed motor was about $100 more than the current cost of that complete 2-speed pump...! Definitely tempting.

I was amazed how long the pump/filter combo stayed at the reduced price; I pictured them (Amazon) having a large surplus of these units. I wonder how many they moved out the door during the past several weeks!
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

10. Back To Top    #10

Singingpond....I think the two speed pump is a great idea at a great price. You can always hold on the the one speed pump for a backup or sell it for a few bucks. I'll keep on the lookout so I don't miss out again..

pooldv: Are you sure? It may be a long, cold winter?
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)

11. Back To Top    #11

Exactly. Since we can't swim we might as well talk about pumps!
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Schnozz View Post
    Singingpond....I think the two speed pump is a great idea at a great price. You can always hold on the the one speed pump for a backup or sell it for a few bucks. I'll keep on the lookout so I don't miss out again..
    OK, a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I did buy the 2-speed pump on Amazon this morning. Just looked like too good a deal at that price (~$132)!

Good luck with your survey of prices and equipment through the coming cold months! When I look back, I had actually been keeping an eye on pump and filter prices and configurations for a while, over the past two years or so -- good deals definitely do seem to come along if you are patient.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

13. Back To Top    #13

No embarrassment. It's a smart, informed purchase. The two speed pump is the right move for many reasons. And you got a great deal. I'll keep looking.....
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)