Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Math and FC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Math and FC?

Pool Math tells me that my FC should be a minimum of 4 with a Daily Goal between 9 and 11 yet the suggest level listed elsewhere on TFP say much lower.. like 3-5. Why is this? What should my FC level actually be?
    2006 IG 18.6K gal marcite saltwater w/integrated 800 gal spa, spillover, 2 Main and 2 Spa Drains, 2 Skimmers
    Goldline Aqua Logic PS-8, Aqua Pod Remote, Hayward GLX-Cell-15-W SWG, Hayward Pool Vac XL, Cartridge filter, single speed pump
    Taylor K-2006, Lamotte Borate Strips

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Math and FC?

Your recommended FC depends on what your CYA level is. 7.5% minium to 11.5% of the CYA.
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
    Pool Math tells me that my FC should be a minimum of 4 with a Daily Goal between 9 and 11 yet the suggest level listed elsewhere on TFP say much lower.. like 3-5. Why is this? What should my FC level actually be?
    What's your CYA reading?
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated.

4. Back To Top    #4

Minimum and target FC are different for SWCG versus non-SWCG. I think that's where you are seeing the differences. Refer to the Chlorine / CYA Chart that Divine Dave linked to in post #2

If your SWCG is operational and you are actively using it to chlorinate the pool use the SWG Pools section of the chart. If manually chlorinating the pool use the Non - SWG Pools section of the chart.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    Minimum and target FC are different for SWCG versus non-SWCG. I think that's where you are seeing the differences. Refer to the Chlorine / CYA Chart that Divine Dave linked to in post #2

If your SWCG is operational and you are actively using it to chlorinate the pool use the SWG Pools section of the chart. If manually chlorinating the pool use the Non - SWG Pools section of the chart.
    No, I am using the numbers from SWG chart a well as the Pool Math numbers. Those are the two set that don't agree. My CYA...well, don't get me started on reading that test. Have no real idea what "Until you can't see the dot" actually means. Yesterday CYA read at 78. Today it reads 65. Mor accurte to say "I read it at...". This is another subject/thread though. Lets pretend my CYA is 70 then I should be 7.5% to 11.5% which would be 5-8 FC.
    2006 IG 18.6K gal marcite saltwater w/integrated 800 gal spa, spillover, 2 Main and 2 Spa Drains, 2 Skimmers
    Goldline Aqua Logic PS-8, Aqua Pod Remote, Hayward GLX-Cell-15-W SWG, Hayward Pool Vac XL, Cartridge filter, single speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

It sounds like you are reading the target for non-swg pools in PoolMath.

Mine says this for CYA 70
    SWG Minimum: 3 non-SWG Minimum: 5 Daily Target: 8 to 10

Which matches this
    FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, i think i see what you mean.

In PoolMath it shows a SWG minimum, a non-SWG minimum and a target. But the target displays a numbers range for non-SWG. I don't see a target for SWG. Maybe the SWG target can be added at the next update to PoolMath - maybe not. In the mean time, refer to the CYA/Chlorine Chart. Maybe even print that chart out and keep with your testkit.

EDIT:
    If your CYA is between 2 numbers on the test vial - round up. So between 60 and 70 - dose for 70. Plus or minus 10 is well within the error margin of the test.
    Last edited by proavia; 10-16-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Spelling - dang auto-correct
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

8. Back To Top    #8

CYA is the most subjective test you'll do and it is frustrating. After you do a lot of them you'll feel better but never will you be happy. Just make sure you keep the FC where the Pool Math indicates for your "estimated" level.
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhugus View Post
    CYA is the most subjective test you'll do and it is frustrating. After you do a lot of them you'll feel better but never will you be happy. Just make sure you keep the FC where the Pool Math indicates for your "estimated" level.
    Thanks...so listen to Pool Math not the SWG CYA / FC chart then. Pool Math says 8-10 for my tests w/CYA at 70. Chart says FC at 5 w/ CYA of 70. I'm probably overthinking this..obsessing with the numbers right? How much difference can 4ppm chlorine matter and who can keep it that stable?!?! With South Florida rain, overflow, refilling or South Florida evaporation and refilling, wife mowing the lawn around the pool (into the pool), etc etc etc....hard to keep chlorine and pH at any one level for more than 24 hours.

10. Back To Top    #10

Could always buy one of these if you're really bothered by the test so much - Cyanuric Acid Portable Photometer - HI96722 - Hanna Instruments
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Could always buy one of these if you're really bothered by the test so much - Cyanuric Acid Portable Photometer - HI96722 - Hanna Instruments
    Must...buy...immediatley....Resistence futile.....Have..no..choice....
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimslaw View Post
    Must...buy...immediatley....Resistence futile.....Have..no..choice....
    I prefer to spend $200+ dollars on restocking my beer fridge...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

13. Back To Top    #13

Also notice that all you get for the $220 is the meter and two sample cuvettes. You still need to buy the reagent packs ($110) and the calibration standards ($140). The cleaning solution and microfiber clothes are probably a good idea too.

So now you're looking at a $600 instrument when all is said and done....I'll leave the cost/benefit analysis up to the individual on this one....
    Matt

14. Back To Top    #14

And it only measures to 80 ppm.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

Yeah...way too much. Using $$ to buy and drink many beers infinintely preferable. Besides, I am able to render myself invisible after drinking a six pack.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

16. Back To Top    #16

And I thought making beer disappear was your superpower...

Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

17. Back To Top    #17

Oh, a bunch of FUNNY guys eh?!?!? With my luck I would spend the $600 only to find out that, after completing the 17 steps to set up and calibrate the thing, you get your result by submerging it in the pool and measuring how deep you have to push it before the black round knob disappears from your sight.

The only superpower I want right now is the super ability to tell 60 CYA from 80 CYA...

18. Back To Top    #18

Just dose for 80 and be happy. It is only 2ppm more fc. More FC is always better than less. It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA. It is not safe to swim below minimum for your CYA. FC/CYA Chart

Beer fridge?
    CAM00125.jpg
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

19. Back To Top    #19

Dump everything out on the top shelves and refill with more Shiner Bock!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    Dump everything out on the top shelves and refill with more Shiner Bock!
    I'll take that Boddington so you don't have to worry about it and you can keep that clear bottled stuff...
    Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl J-hook liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS ... Liquid Chlorine... Baracuda 1500 vac, Installed August 2016 ....CYA/Chlorine Chart...Recommended Levels... Basic Care Schedule...Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast