Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return Line Leak Discovered During Closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Return Line Leak Discovered During Closing

I recently had my in-ground concrete pool closed and during the process the technician discovered a leak in the return lines. When he pressurized the return lines, air and water came up from under ground about 3 feet from the edge of the concrete decking (which is 4ft wide). When I got home I could clearly see the spot where the air/water had escaped. Oddly, there are no pipes running adjacent to that spot (I got to see the plumbing when the pool was built 3 years ago). Also strange is that I observed no indication of a leak in the system before I drained the water down and had the pool closed.

Has anyone had a situation like this?

Is it normal for the air/water to escape the ground so far away from the source of the leak?

Could the process of lowering the water (below the return line) and pressurizing the line CAUSE the leak or expose the existence of a leak?

I believe the leak is under the concrete decking - what should I do now?
    22K gal, PebbleSheen Aqua, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump, 460ft cartridge filter, Polaris 360 robot

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Return Line Leak Discovered During Closing

Are you losing water?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I didn't notice any water loss before the technician came and closed the pool. Now the water level is below the returns and appears stable.
    22K gal, PebbleSheen Aqua, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump, 460ft cartridge filter, Polaris 360 robot

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is the pool closed? If so, I think I would leave it alone until Spring if the water level is now stable.

Address the leak (which is very unusual) when you reopen and fill the pool back to normal. I am not clear what the pool guy could have done to cause the leak, if it is in your return pipes. Again, your circumstance is very unusual and I don't think you can find it without the pool back at normal levels.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School