Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Plumbing Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Plumbing Questions

Hello Team,

I recently moved into a house with my first pool, it was a foreclosure and in real poor shape. i managed to get it all working and clean and pristine thanks mostly to this website, bleach, borax and baking soda.

I rebuilt the pump motor once with my uncle, but 6 months later and its trashed. the sand filter was also trashed, base cracked, leaking, air purge valve gone so i decided to renovate.

right now I've managed to cut out the pump and sand filter and will be shopping for those soon. I'm left with a plumbing mess I'm not sure what goes to what.

I've labeled some of the pictures i took with a perm. marker to help me identify, hopefully with your help.

Can i solicit your assistance kindly to help me identify the plumbing or determine a testing method to help me identify?

the imugr album below, first pic labeled "left side":

http://imgur.com/a/JIRRe

A seems like it might be a backwash pipe to street? I'm not sure how to test at this point - i should have done it prior to pump failure. i was thinking of turning the valve to divert to A elbow and then watch the clean out in front of house for water volume.

B seems like it has some type of one way check valve with the arrow pointing TOWARDS the return, instead of away.

C has a water valve or some type of valve attached, i believe its always been open.

D is a diverter, I'm unsure what its name is, but i know it controls the pop ups in the pool. it looks like its been gutted and rotting away. i am going to try to find a replacement online via the #'s on it and dig up the PVC further so i can attach it properly. (edit: i think this may be the right rebuilt kit? https://www.amazon.com/540251-5-Port...cturing+540251)

the second picture has E on the elbow, prior to the elbow is an "ortega" valve, this controls the jets and water circulation in the spa thing. i need to replace this as it requires the strength of an olympic power lifter to turn even though i rebuilt it.
    19K gal, IG Pebble Tec, AO Smith SQ1202 2hp single speed, Sta-Rite HRPB30, Manual Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool Plumbing Questions

AA Manufacturing Valve Kit for 5 Port Top Feed - Tsunami Upgrading Kit 540251, this is a little cheaper. Looks like a old Patio Pool build. Everything from point A to D is on the return portion of your system. Point B could be a return to the spa to provide filtered water in the pool function, would probably replace the check valve with a Jandy or Waterway one. They are serviceable. Valve C looks like some kind of makeup line back to pool. You are correct E is the spa jets and replacing with a Jandy neverlube would be the way to go. Although you will have to start all the way back to the first 3-way valve. As far as A goes it could be a drain but no way to be sure until your replumbed and startup. It also may be some kind of line to a waterfeature in the pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Plumbing Questions

Kadavis thank you kindly for your response, ive been apprehensive about my decision to tackle this myself but your help boosts my confidence. Thanks for taking time out of your day to read, review and respond