Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner, here are my numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner, here are my numbers

Hello everyone. I've been reading up since I had the pool installed and bought the tf100xl test kit. Here are my numbers as of this morning. I am new to this, so any questions or suggestions are encouraged. I know my CYA need to come up. My pool builder literally filled pool and has left me to figure the rest out. No support or suggestions on balancing or maintaining the water. Thank you

15000 gallon pebble tech pool.
    Las Vegas NV
    Cover pools automatic cover, always closed unless we are swimming. Blocks all UV
    jandy aqua pure SWG running 55%, pump runs 10 hours a day
    FC 6.5
    CC 0
    TC 6.5
    TA 100
    CYA 0
    PH 7.5

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: First time pool owner, here are my numbers

Welcome to the forum.

I would raise the CYA to only about 30 ppm since you keep it covered so much.

Then, you will probably have to lower your SWG run-time percentage to much lower.....trying to keep FC in the 3 ppm range.

How much Pool School have your read? Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry"?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello, I have browsed over most of pool school, am reading it fully now and trying to understand how each chemical effects the overall balance. I'll start low on CYA and go from there. How will I know when the CYA is at an appropriate level? We have small kids and keep it closed at all times unless we are swimming for their safety. As they get older we will leave it open more.

4. Back To Top    #4

HI! I have THE set of links you need! It is what I share with new pool owners. Now it is a LOT of info so take it a bite at a time. Ask any and all questions as you need.

Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I would love to see a pic of your pool! PLEASE?? LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It is usually recommended to open the cover for an hour or so each day to let the pool gas off. I open mine about a half hour before testing.
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006C.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the tip on opening the pool up a bit each day.
    Kim Kats, I have read all.of the links. Thank you. Here is one pic I have, I'll take another tomororw.

15k, Pebble, SWG, jandy Variable speed 2hp, 460 cartridge filters, spa, coverpools cover, 8 deck jets, tf100xl

7. Back To Top    #7

Sweet pool!!!

Determing a good CYA level with an automatic cover, especially in your climate, can be a challenge. When it's closed for 23ish hours, you don't need much chlorine from your SWG. Then if you open it all day for a party, ZAP!, your FC gets burned off by the sun because your CYA is low.

You may need more than 30ppm CYA, but as Dave recommended, you can start there. Test frequently watching that you never hit the minimum FC for your current CYA level. Here's the FC/CYA chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

If you go with a low CYA, please increase your SWG output before a party, prepare to test frequently during the party, and supplement with bleach as needed.
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006C.

8. Back To Top    #8

I know you are new and I hope that is not "too much information" for you...

9. Back To Top    #9

Not at all. Just new info for me to learn. I'm sure with some guidance I'll have it dialed in shortly.
    15k, Pebble, SWG, jandy Variable speed 2hp, 460 cartridge filters, spa, coverpools cover, 8 deck jets, tf100xl

10. Back To Top    #10

Cool. Good to hear your confidence!

For years I have kept my CYA between 30-40 here in Chicago. This summer was brutally hot and my cover was open a lot not only for extra swimming, but also to cool the water temps down. (The cover retains heat). I had to raise my CYA to 50 because my FC was burning off faster than I could adjust it with my normal testing regimen.

11. Back To Top    #11

What a pretty pool and area! THANKS!

It seems as if you have a good handle on your pool. We are here for any and all questions or concerns you have.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi all. Did my CH test today and have 450. Is that a bit high? What would be the best way to bring it down if needed. 15k gallon Pebble pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

Is that your pool water or fill water's CH? If you have not tested your fill water please do so. The only way to lower CH is to replace water

Kim