Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: WaveHeater- anybody have this?

1. Back To Top    #1

WaveHeater- anybody have this?

still researching a way to heat my in-garage pool...and I find this exists: Amazon.com : The 2016 WaveHeater for above ground pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

I did a search here and didn't see any relevant threads. Anybody own it/love it/hate it?
    Bestway 18X9? steel frame pool, AG, approx. 4K gallons as of 1/5/2016, sand filter, 1/2hp single speed pump, all set up on foam flooring squares set in my insulated and finished garage.
    Portland, OR USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: WaveHeater- anybody have this?

Hi Dgephri

I was curious if you ever found an answer to your question? Did you purchase the Waveheater?

Thank you
    Eddie
    Eddie
    Summer Escapes 14' Pro-Series 4047 gallons; Intex 12 inch Sand Filter Pump; Intex SWCG; Vinyl Works Fence; Taylor K-2006C and Taylor K-1766, Intex 14 Inch Sand Filter Pump
    Sungrabber 4 x 12 feet Solar Collector controlled by Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235
    12 mil Clear Solar Blanket on SolarRoller; Aquabot Reaction

3. Back To Top    #3

I am about to...it is left standing as the only real option for my in-garage pool...I should have a report in a couple weeks - order, arrival, install, testing, etc.
    Bestway 18X9? steel frame pool, AG, approx. 4K gallons as of 1/5/2016, sand filter, 1/2hp single speed pump, all set up on foam flooring squares set in my insulated and finished garage.
    Portland, OR USA

4. Back To Top    #4

it showed up today...a little bigger than I imagined from the YT vids. So, he recently made a change that the WaveHeater should go BEFORE the Sand Filter instead of After it.

Is there any real reason I can't just reorient my hoses to use opposite ports from A to B? I am currently using the Intex skimmer, so it won't change the actual inlet depth...thoughts?
    Portland, OR USA

5. Back To Top    #5

Some math:
    4000 gallon * 8.3 = 33200 pounds of water.
    Takes 1BTU raise 1 pound of water by 1 degree F
    So, you need 33200 BTUs to add 1 degree

Link claims 18770 BTU/hour .. so it will take 1.77 hours to add 1 degree (assuming good efficiency) ... Lets round that to 2 hours to add 1 degree for math's sake.

Running it for 2 hours to add 1 degree will use 5500watts*2 hours = 11kW-hr per degree increase. Average electrical cost is $0.12 / kW-hr (obviously this can vary greatly).
    Cost to add 1 degree approx. $1.32 and it will take 2 hours.

Run it for a day and it will cost ~$16 and will add 12 degrees .... assuming no large losses.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, putting it before the filter seems like a really bad idea.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

thx, I know the math for heating: but inside my garage it already averages 72-74F in the summer, and 64-67F in the winter. I have found no other way to add heat so I can get year-round control.

I figure a couple times a week, I can pop it on for 6-8hours while at work, then have a 78-80F temp for some evening swims. I have been watching my evening-morning temps and I usually lose 1-2F at night.

The issue before/after the sand filter is that on the exit from the Sand Filter, "most" of them let a little sand out. This can potentially clog the flow switch and it will fail. Putting it before the sand filter means that sand will have exited, and settled on the pool bottom (if any) and prevent that. According the manuf.

I wish my arrangement let me use a Hayward, or anything else, but it does not.

The main question is if reversing "A" and "B" ports for flow direction will do something.
    Portland, OR USA

7. Back To Top    #7

I have no idea what ports A and B are.

1. Your sand filter should not be letting sand through
    2. If you put the heater before the filter, then leaves/debris can clog up the heater.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

pump set up.jpg
    I always understood that the "higher" port is for the pump flow out, and the "lower" port is for the strainer/skimmer in. What if I reverse the purpose of those two ports?

This pool is in my garage, so no leaves, only the occasional vacuum for settled remnants. I posed that question to the manufacturer and it just reduces the problem. Their claim is that it's a very small amount, but this is a preventative change in their directions.
    Last edited by Dgephri; 08-14-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: formatting
    Portland, OR USA

9. Back To Top    #9

I guess switching them should not matter ... but I do not fully understand the reason you want to do so.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

thanks. I have a small space between the side of my Pool and the garage wall, and the pump/Sand filter combo barely fits, then I have the watertight conduit coming to the WaveHeater on the pool inlet side. Now I find out I need it on the pool outlet side.

If I reverse hoses and twist the top of the sand filter, I might be able to save about 20' of hose in hooking up the WaveHeater. I just didn't want to create another new problem in the process without checking here.
    Portland, OR USA