Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing Size

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing Size

Hi Everyone. Our builder installed 2" suction lines and 1.5" returns but our contract is for 2.5" suction lines. They are changing the suction lines to 2.5" and keep the return lines at 1.5". Is this sufficient or should the returns line be changed to 2"? Please help as we know nothing about pool and plumbing. Just feel like this isn't right.

Thank you so much.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing Size

Depends on how many return lines you have I guess. If you had a single 1.5"return that later split into several, this would limit your flow. If you had several 1.5" returns right after filter, then I would think it would be ok. Bigger always better though. Someone with better info will be along shortly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Just signed contract. 12,750gal, 30'x15' 3.5'-4.5'-7', 88'perimeter, 420sqft, 3x 2" looped infusion returns, A&A G4v infloor cleaning, Quickskim venturi skimmer, leaf vac, Hayward tristar VS, 520sqft cartridge, P4 ProLogic automation, Tcell-15 40k SWG, Multi ColorLogic LED, All 2.5" plumbing w/45degree fittings. Build start date late Feb17.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. We have 5 returns and here is a picture, hope this will help.

pool.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It usually depends on pump size and the flowrate your trying to achieve. 1-1/2" pvc is for 40-50 GPM where 2" is 70-80 GPM. If all those lines are returns to the pool and kept in the present valve config, then I don't think it will matter. On the left hand-side you have three lines with valves are they labeled, do you know what each line is for?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    It usually depends on pump size and the flowrate your trying to achieve. 1-1/2" pvc is for 40-50 GPM where 2" is 70-80 GPM. If all those lines are returns to the pool and kept in the present valve config, then I don't think it will matter. On the left hand-side you have three lines with valves are they labeled, do you know what each line is for?
    No label yet but I will ask my PB. Thank you!

6. Back To Top    #6

Also please re-think that chlorine tab feeder. Most members of this forum will tell you to forget the tabs and go with the TFP bleach method.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Is that a cartridge filter? If you have too little head loss on the return side vs the suction side, that can put a pump into cavitation. I would say leave it as is or you could create a problem. What is the filter pressure when the pump is on full speed?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Is that a cartridge filter? If you have too little head loss on the return side vs the suction side, that can put a pump into cavitation. I would say leave it as is or you could create a problem. What is the filter pressure when the pump is on full speed?
    Oh no. We can't run and test it yet. It is there but not really connected to anything. I will forward this question to pb.

Builder says since I don't have a spa it should be ok. Our pool is 17x35 rectangle pool, no spa, 5 returns, 3 sheer descents and 1 bubbler.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gary300 View Post
    Also please re-think that chlorine tab feeder. Most members of this forum will tell you to forget the tabs and go with the TFP bleach method.
    Thank you we plan to use TFP method but the tab is for when I'm out of town on business. Appreciate you pointing it out, making sure we don't miss anything with out build.