Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner looking for answers

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner looking for answers

Hi everyone. I just closed on my house two weeks ago and am the proud owner of a very nice 25,000 gallon cement pool. It was green when I closed and had all the water drained and power-washed. I am planning to have it painted and refilled and closed for the season. Since it was green and even some jumpy friends made it their home, I was thinking of maybe have an acid wash done. Does anyone recommend it??

Btw...it is an 11 year old pool and looks to be in great shape. The wife is just a germaphobe so been ok my case.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner looking for answers

How long do you plan to live there?

How rough is the plaster right now?

3. Back To Top    #3

Why paint it? How does it look now?

River has a VERY good question that will impact our ideas.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool! We don't recommend painting pools. It is a lot of work and only lasts 2-3 years. It is much better to replaster, even if you need to wait a couple of years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Off The Deep End View Post
    Hi everyone. I just closed on my house two weeks ago and am the proud owner of a very nice 25,000 gallon cement pool. It was green when I closed and had all the water drained and power-washed. I am planning to have it painted and refilled and closed for the season. Since it was green and even some jumpy friends made it their home, I was thinking of maybe have an acid wash done. Does anyone recommend it??

Btw...it is an 11 year old pool and looks to be in great shape. The wife is just a germaphobe so been ok my case.
    You powerwashed and now you want to acid wash? I would think the powerwash was more than enough. I agree with teh others that painting is at best a stop-gap measure and will likely be more trouble than it's worth.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner