Aqua Rite SWG with Two Speed Pump

pmcd

May 31, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I replaced my Zodiac SWG with a Hayward Aqua Rite system. Now it complains about the water flow being too low when I have the pump at half speed. Odd as my Heat Pump works fine at that speed and it requires at lest 20 gpm. Is there some way of getting the Aqua Rite system to work at the lower rate? Could it be as simple as cell that needs cleaning? The cell works great when the pump is at full speed.

Thanks,

philip

All SWGs have different flow requirements. It could be that your Zodiac was set a little lower than the Hayward cell in terms of flow rate requirements. The SWG sits after the heat pump so while there may be sufficient flow for the HP to operate, the pressure drop across the HP may be enough that you lose flow before the cell. Also, just an FYI, but most heaters use a pressure switch to detect flow so if the pressure switch is satisfied it may not be exactly 20GPM.

You could contact Hayward and find out what their flow rate requirement is and if there's anyway to adjust it (I doubt it, but you never know). Your only other option would be to redo your plumbing around the HP with a by-pass loop to take some or all of the HP out of the flow path. Heaters tend to add a big hit to the head loss of the plumbing system, so even partially bypassing it may provide enough flow to get the SWG working.

You could also open the backend of the pump up and check to make sure there's nothing clogging up the impeller which would reduce the flow rate supplied by the pump.

Pretty sure the flow rate requirement for the Hayward is about 15GPM ... although it depends on how and where your flow switch is installed.

There is no adjustment other than making sure it is orientated correctly and not near a corner where turbulence exists.

Hayward is at the lowest end of flow requirements as SWG's go, around 15 GPM as Jason said.

I'm guessing that the flow switch is not installed according to instructions or your system actually doesn't have the right amount of flow for some reason. Dirty filters and clogged SWG's are two examples of flow restrictions in the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.