Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Generic DPD powder vs. Taylor Brand

1. Back To Top    #1

Generic DPD powder vs. Taylor Brand

I ran out of DPD powder and came across this listing on Amazon.
    The powder is in pre-measured foil packs. Is there any reason this powder would work any differently with my Taylor R-0871 drops than Taylor brand DPD powder?

I am considering these for 3 reasons:
    1. They are pre-measured
    2. I don't have to worry about them getting wet
    3. They may last longer since they are sealed
    15,000 gallon in-ground pool. Diamond Brite re-finished in 2012. 1.5hp single-speed pump. Haywood Star Clear Plus C1200 cartridge filter. Spill over spa that is NOT heated (heater has been removed) but does have it's own pump and blower for jets which are seldom used. We get live in South Florida where we get a ton of rain and 10 hours of direct sunlight on the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Generic DPD powder vs. Taylor Brand

That's a total chlorine reagent so it likely contains iodide in it to measure both FC and CC together. You would not be able to get separate numbers.

There may be a pillow packet of FC only DPD powder.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm glad I asked. You are correct, there are others out there. This one is called a "free chlorine reagent". Any thoughts on this one?
    15,000 gallon in-ground pool. Diamond Brite re-finished in 2012. 1.5hp single-speed pump. Haywood Star Clear Plus C1200 cartridge filter. Spill over spa that is NOT heated (heater has been removed) but does have it's own pump and blower for jets which are seldom used. We get live in South Florida where we get a ton of rain and 10 hours of direct sunlight on the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, notice that you are limited to a chlorine concentration of 2mg/L (2ppm). So you would need to use multiple pillow packs to get a higher reading.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I did see that. I guess I will stick with good ole Taylor. Thank you for your input!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by sewpergreen View Post
    I did see that. I guess I will stick with good ole Taylor. Thank you for your input!
    You can certainly try it if you want to experiment. If you wanted to measure between 0-10ppm FC, you'd need to add 5 packets of powder and then titrate.

Those packets are designed for a Hach colorimeter that is likely used in drinking water analysis so the 2ppm limit is applicable. I do believe they make pillow packs that go higher, but you'd have to search their website to see if you can find the p/n for it.
    Matt

7. Back To Top    #7

The taylor re-agents on amazon frequently go from around $ 30 to $ 18
    for a vial of powder and the drops (combo pack)

I noticed today it remains $ 18
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.