Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Having Trouble with PH and TA adjustments

1. Back To Top    #1

Ormond Beach

Having Trouble with PH and TA adjustments

Have been using the TFPC kit throughout the summer and am finding a common problem with PH and TA adjustments. For instance, today's test gave me these numbers: FC=3, Ph= 7.8, TA=90, CH=225, CYA=50. PoolMath indicates pool needs chlorine and baking soda to adjust the FC and TA numbers. What I am finding is that when I add the baking soda to bring up the TA, it throws my Ph up too high, which is easy to do because it is on the top end of good range. Typically at that point, PoolMath indicates pool needs Muratic Acid to bring the Ph down, but because the TA is on the low end of normal range, it adjusts TA too low. It has been a constant cycle. Please help me with better way to balance the two, or let me know if there is something i could do better. Thank you.
    Matrix 24' round x 54" AGP, Vinyl Liner, buried approx. 2/3rds in ground, 1hp Hayward pump, 22" sand filter, Smart Kleen auto cleaner, on well water, using TFPC method w/chlorine, TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

San Antonio, TX

Having Trouble with PH and TA adjustments

I would stop adjusting the TA. Your concern is the pH. IMO, the normal TA for my pool is whatever stabilizes the pH around 7.7
    Right now it is 80 and have not adjusted pH in weeks. During the summer it was 70 and I was adding about 4-8oz muriatic acid to pool each week.

Others will have more technical advice. I think a TA below 50 is when it becomes a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Having Trouble with PH and TA adjustments

Agreed, let TA drop a bit. As low as 60 is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach