Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Limestone Fountain. Please help with Algae!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Limestone Fountain. Please help with Algae!!!!

Hi, i have a limestone fountain and i'm having a hard to preventing algae growth. Fountain was built about 4 months ago. First time i had algae i used Kem-Tek Algaecide and it killed the algae within 24 hours. Ive been adding about 2 ounces per week and it is no longer effective. My gardener drains the fountain once a month but algae keeps growing every two weeks.

I've contacted limestone tile manufacturers and pool guys and none seem to be familiar with limestone. They all recommended i don't use chlorine long term to keep algae from growing. Should i be concerned about using chlorine or bromine to shock kill the algae? Should i be concerned using it long term on limestone?

Any help on how to kill the algae and upkeep my fountain long term would be greatly appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Limestone Fountain. Please help with Algae!!!!

Welcome to TFP!

Is this a decorative fountain? No people in it? Lots of people have pools with limestone and use chlorine. I would use chlorine to prevent algae. You can float a trichlor puck in a puck floater or add bleach regularly to keep the chlorine level up around 5 ppm. A cheap chlorine test will let you test it to make sure it doesn't drop to 0.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Limestone Fountain. Please help with Algae!!!!

+ 1 what pooldv said. Keep your FC around 5 ppm with a chlorine tester (You have to test resularly) and you will nor have algae.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School