Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PoolMath suggests half the required HCl

1. Back To Top    #1

PoolMath suggests half the required HCl

PoolMath has worked well for me for all adjustments other than pH. I find that I need about double the suggested HCl to lower the pH by a certain amount than what PoolMath suggests.

My chemistry is as follows:

FC 6
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    TA 70
    CH 410
    CYA 80
    Na 4400
    Temp 18 degrees C

My only idea is that there is a buffer in the pool that I am not aware of. I have not added borates to the pool, and I doubt the previous owner would have. Do you have any alternative explanations or suggestions of the buffer?
    ​GeoQuack
    Melbourne, Australia. Plaster pool 44,000 Litre (11,625 US gallons), 2 HP 1 speed pump, Zodiac LM3-40 SWG, Zodiac CX20 robotic cleaner, PoolSkim, solar heating, sand filter, clearchoicelabs.com.au test kit (TF100 or taylors not available in Australia), big eucalypt that drops infinate leaves, gum nuts, pollen and sticks into pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PoolMath suggests half the required HCl

Are you sure your MA is 31.45% (20 Baume)? Many places sell pool acid as well as contractor MA that's 15% because it does not fume.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Are you sure your MA is 31.45% (20 Baume)? Many places sell pool acid as well as contractor MA that's 15% because it does not fume.
    Yes, it is 32%. It certainly does fume.

4. Back To Top    #4

Some types of Dichlor shock contain borates as an additive. Not sure what kind is available in Australia but maybe they used that. Try a borate test.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Will try a borate test, just have to find a shop that sells them.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by GeoQuack View Post
    Will try a borate test, just have to find a shop that sells them.
    Don't bother looking in the shops, online is your best bet.

Our acid is is definatly full strength. I've never aclually tested my pH after the recommended PoolMath dose but I recently had a 50% difference between the acid demand test and PoolMath. You might be on to something.
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, Salt meter + K1766, BlueDevil pH |
    Town water, pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |