Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pools

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pools

We bought a house with a pool. I have never had one previously. Live in SoCal.

I have been told that the pool needs work. We have a good variable speed pump, but the filter has to be replaced and the heater is going to die any day now. Also, we have to drain because the salt content is too high and we can't activate the salt device until we do that.

I don't know anything really. Just repeating what the previous pool service guy told me.

I just started looking at this site and see I have a lot to learn and measure and decide.

I was also told that the control system I have is awful and I should consider upgrading to something contemporary.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pools

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool. More here about adding your pool info into your signature, what to add and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Start here in Pool School
    ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: New to pools

Welcome, and congratulations on the new house and pool!

Before you do anything, I would suggest obtaining the TF-100 and the Taylor K-1766 Salt test kits from Pool Supplies, Spa Supplies and Parts They're in California so you should get the kits ASAP. Then I would test the water myself and bring back your results, along with every details about the pool you know. We can help you figure this out and separate the wheat from the chaff.

Yippee
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter