Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashed drained pool a bit

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashed drained pool a bit

Hi, I am new here and also a new pool owner. I went out when I got home from work to backwash a little bit in prep for some algae treatment. My son came out and I shut it down and went inside. I forgot to close the backwash valve. I have a DE filter. I came out about 3 hours later to work on the pool again and had a heart attack as the yard is flooded and the water line is about 1.5' below the skimmer.

How bad does this mess things up? If anything? I've read it can tear the grids and also break the pump?

Any guidance is appreciated! Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwashed drained pool a bit

Welcome to TFP!

Not sure about tearing the grids. It can damage the pump if it runs dry too long. Best thing to do is fill it back up and give it a test run. Good luck!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. Forgot I had posted. Pump seems to be working just fine still. I just cannot keep chlorine in the pool. I'm adding tons daily and it seems to be gone by the time I'm home from work. I think I just need to keep brushing and adding it until it can hold for longer than a day?

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have a test kit? If not please think about getting one. It really sounds like you need to do a SLAM

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Your pool will start going green if you do not get the algae out. It is trying to tell you it is there by eating your FC.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yep, like Kim said, you need to test your water and stop guessing at what might be. We can help but we need test results to understand the condition of your water.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School