Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster delamination - options for fixing

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster delamination - options for fixing

Hi. I have owned this pool for about 3 months now and it looks like I've got plaster delamination. I believe the plaster is original from about 1997. I have one spot where the blister has cracked open and the plaster came off to a depth of about 1/4" and there are more blisters that will eventually break off. The pool has about six patches from the prior owners repairing it.

In all, I would say I've got 2-3 blisters maybe 6" in diameter that will be 1/8"-1/4" deep and a couple dozen blister spots that are 1-2" diameter and less than 1/8" deep.

I understand the ultimate fix would be to tear out all the plaster and re-do the whole thing. Any idea how much that would cost?

What is the viability of fixing these spots? And how?
    Also, I noticed that all the prior repairs are square in shape so it appears that they cut around the hole, chipped it out, and then replastered. Is that the way it needs to be done?

Can this be a do-it-yourself job or is a professional needed?

See attached pictures.

pool delam1.JPGpool delam2.JPGpool delam3.JPG

Thanks!

Steve
    30k gallon 38'x18' IG Gunite; U.S Motors C55CXKLT-5007 1.5 HP RPM 3450 pump; System3 S8D110 53 ft2 DE filter; SWG Pentair IntelliChlor; STA-RITE SR400 NA natural gas heater; Pentair Legend Platinum cleaning robot; Coverstar CS500; City well Boise ID; Install date unknown 10-20 years max; TFTestkits TF-1002;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster delamination - options for fixing

You need to re-do rip out/re-plaster the whole thing and let a pro do it. Re-Plaster is best left to experience, as this is not something you want to learn on. I don't have any idea what they charge where you are but around here, I would figure about 10k for a good quartz finish.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

10K for quartz in Idaho that seems like robbery, we do plaster here in Sacramento, CA in a big pool market 30k pool for standard plaster would be about 5800.00 quartz 7800.00
    David Randolph
    Warranty Station
    Pentair
    Jandy
    Owner Sac Pool Pros

4. Back To Top    #4

We have seen significantly higher pricing in markets with less pools and less compentition. It would be worth your time to have a couple of folks quote your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by SacPoolPros View Post
    10K for quartz in Idaho that seems like robbery, we do plaster here in Sacramento, CA in a big pool market 30k pool for standard plaster would be about 5800.00 quartz 7800.00
    I live in Chicago where 10K sounds about right. It's really hard to use CA, TX, AZ or FL as a standard for pricing any pool service. We have very little competition and in many cases the plasterers use the same company to sandblast/prep, so there's not much variance on that part of the project's cost.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the reply everyone.
    So I am understanding from this that there isn't much point in patching the blister spots. I was hoping I could patch these and extend out the time before I need to re-do the whole thing.
    Give than the plaster coming off is fairly shallow in depth, what is the harm in letting the blisters delaminate? Is this mainly a cosmetic issue or will that cause additional problems down the road?
    30k gallon 38'x18' IG Gunite; U.S Motors C55CXKLT-5007 1.5 HP RPM 3450 pump; System3 S8D110 53 ft2 DE filter; SWG Pentair IntelliChlor; STA-RITE SR400 NA natural gas heater; Pentair Legend Platinum cleaning robot; Coverstar CS500; City well Boise ID; Install date unknown 10-20 years max; TFTestkits TF-1002;

7. Back To Top    #7

The only real reason you need to replaster the pool is if it is leaking significantly. As long as the pool is holding water the rest is just cosmetic. Plaster is normally about 3/8"-1/2" thick.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I had a pool company come out today and they indicated that I should tear out the plaster and replace it in the Spring time. They believe the prior owners let the pool stay dry for a long time in the summer when they replaced the tile and it has resulted in micro cracking all over the plaster and over 200 hollow spots where it will eventually delaminate.

I'll be getting several bids per Pooldv's comment.

Any other advice on preparing for this? Should I get warranty type information? Any specs that I should mandate on the bid? Any advice here is appreciated. It is going to be a big $$$ hit.

Thanks, Steve

9. Back To Top    #9

Check out Aquabrite by Ecofinish. It is an interesting new pool finish that I am seriously considering for my next pool finish. There are a few threads about it here on TFP.

More about plaster finishes here
    Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster
    Start-up Chemistry for Plaster Pools
    TFP Moderator