Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low TA, But pH is Happy

1. Back To Top    #1

Low TA, But pH is Happy

Ok, I saw a thread similar to this before, but I guess I'm too much of a worrier to just let it go. So... 2 weeks after having an RO trailer come out and lower the calcium and CYA, here are my readings:

FC 2
    TC 2
    pH 7.7
    TA 50
    CH 180
    CYA 50
    Temp 78

The pH has been holding pretty steady for a week. I'm using only liquid chlorine and have added no acid.

Should I attempt to raise the TA at this point? I'm expecting a ton of kids in the pool this weekend, so if I'm going to monkey with pH I need to get started now.

Thanks for your help.

Doug
    23k gallon plaster igp and jacuzzi, Pentair variable Speed pump, Pentair DE filter, passive solar heat, gas heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low TA, But pH is Happy

If your pH is stable, leave the TA where it is. TA can really vary from pool to pool. You want it to be where pH is pretty consistent.
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006C.

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you planning on raising the CH back up a bit? With a plaster pool, you are a bit low and your fill water is 250, so you won't raise it quickly.
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006C.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good stuff, TA at 50 is fine as long as your pH doesn't bounce around. I also agree with raising CH to 250.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Are you planning on raising the CH back up a bit? With a plaster pool, you are a bit low and your fill water is 250, so you won't raise it quickly.
    Thanks. I will bring up the CH. I wanted to give any residual calcium from the walls time to go into solution with the water. I think I've given it enough time. Just want to do it carefully because I don't want to do RO again or drain and fill anytime soon.

Thanks,
    Doug
    23k gallon plaster igp and jacuzzi, Pentair variable Speed pump, Pentair DE filter, passive solar heat, gas heat

6. Back To Top    #6

pH is fine. Your FC is too low though.
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!