Is it normal for copper bonding wire to turn green?

Jul 27, 2014
Toronto
The pool was built about 3 years ago. There is a chlorine generator using the salt water (SWG).

I've noted this year the copper bonding wire (visible inside the pool shed which houses the pump, heater, control panel, pool toys, etc) has turned green. There are still some patches here and there were I can see the actual copper-colored metal, but otherwise it's pretty much all green.

I've read that this can be a normal reaction to copper structures to oxidation (moisture, salt, ie. statue of liberty).

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue with their copper bonding wires?

Also, does 3 years seem a bit early for this to happen?

Does this actually have any functional concerns? I don't really care if it looks green, however I don't want to be shocked in the future each time I touch anything metal around the pool.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It is normal for any exposed copper to tarnish like that and take on a green/aqua color.
Where the wire is attached to everything, the lugs should embed in the copper and still have a good clean connection.
Nothing to worry about ... rub a little lemon juice on it is you want to make it shiny ;)

At my first house with a pool, I too noticed the bond wire was green (and it was disconnected!)
I cleaned mine with a 3m pad very carefully, where it connected to the bond lug and also cleaned the bond lug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.