Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it normal for copper bonding wire to turn green?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it normal for copper bonding wire to turn green?

The pool was built about 3 years ago. There is a chlorine generator using the salt water (SWG).

I've noted this year the copper bonding wire (visible inside the pool shed which houses the pump, heater, control panel, pool toys, etc) has turned green. There are still some patches here and there were I can see the actual copper-colored metal, but otherwise it's pretty much all green.

I've read that this can be a normal reaction to copper structures to oxidation (moisture, salt, ie. statue of liberty).

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue with their copper bonding wires?

Also, does 3 years seem a bit early for this to happen?

Does this actually have any functional concerns? I don't really care if it looks green, however I don't want to be shocked in the future each time I touch anything metal around the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it normal for copper bonding wire to turn green?

Welcome to TFP!!!

It is normal for any exposed copper to tarnish like that and take on a green/aqua color.
    Where the wire is attached to everything, the lugs should embed in the copper and still have a good clean connection.
    Nothing to worry about ... rub a little lemon juice on it is you want to make it shiny
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is it normal for copper bonding wire to turn green?

At my first house with a pool, I too noticed the bond wire was green (and it was disconnected!)
    I cleaned mine with a 3m pad very carefully, where it connected to the bond lug and also cleaned the bond lug.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.