Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing new pump and filter

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Testing new pump and filter

I've recently took advantage of the crazy price at Amazon and bought a new 1.5HP Hayward pump & 21" sandfilter. Next spring I will need to create a proper equipment pad for this much larger system.

I would like to at least try the filter and pump this weekend before I close the pool to make sure everything works and there are no defects. I do not want to add the 200lbs of sand as I will need to move this filter to pour a slab in the spring, then move it back onto the pad for opening.
    Are there any concerns with running the sandfilter empty? I know that centrifugal pumps work easier if there is back pressure on the pressure side, I planned to close the return valves a bit to simulate the backpressure experienced with a sand-filled filter.

I only plan to run for 5-10 minutes this way.

Anything I should be concerned with? Will this damage anything?

Thanks.
    Last edited by domct203; 10-12-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Grammer
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Testing new pump and filter

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You are on the unanswered threads list!

I don't know anything about running a sand filter with no media in it. The only thing I can think of is that it might blow the laterals off and damage them. So, maybe enough sand in the bottom to keep it all together?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    You are on the unanswered threads list!

I don't know anything about running a sand filter with no media in it. The only thing I can think of is that it might blow the laterals off and damage them. So, maybe enough sand in the bottom to keep it all together?
    I was worried about the laterals as well. I am thinking of leaving the entire stand pipe/laterals assembly out. I'll manually fill the filter with water too.
    Dom - TFP Guide

5. Back To Top    #5

That sounds good. Just to test the valve and make sure the housing doesn't leak.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach