Turtle Valve / Float Valve During Winter - Need to run filter

Jul 5, 2013
I have a main drain tied into one port at the bottom of my skimmer, and the second port in my skimmer goes to my pool pump. My pool pump is in my basement, and I have an onground pool.

The pool takes part in a custom glycol solar thermal system, with the use of a geothermal heat pump, so in the winter, the geothermal heat pump takes heat from the pool via a heat exchanger (and also adds heat to the pool)

This means I run the pump in the winter here in Washington, DC. with a thermal cover on the pool.

Last winter, I kept the water at skimmer level, and the system was fine, since it was old tile, but this year, I need to lower the water below the tile line since I had to pool tiled and replastered and I don't want to operate skimmers.

If I drop my water below the tile line, and hence, the skimmers are empty. Would a float valve be enough to have the water flow from the main drain line to the skimmer and then into the line to the pool pump.

Or should a craft some kind of loop between the two ports in the skimmer? Is that possible?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.