Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Used flocculant with no "Waste" option . . . . help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Used flocculant with no "Waste" option . . . . help?

My pool filter is a two option stem valve: circulate & backwash.

After repairing my filter and getting algae problem fixed, there was a lot of cloudiness. Chemicals were all balanced.

Flocced my pool based on some advice by pool guy. Worked great. Pool was clear and floc was at the bottom. Here's where the problem begins:.

My pool has jets that turn on to circulate the water. I can't vacuum without those jets turning on. When the jets turn on, they disturb the floc and I cannot vacuum.

I cannot vacuum and backwash and have no waste option.

How can I remove the floc from my pool? Any thoughts or suggestions?
    ~15,000 Gallon, Kidney Shaped, IG Plaster Pool (unsure of when built)
    Hayward S311SXV Pro-Series 30" w/2-inch slide valve - 1.65 HP Pool Pump
    Taylor K2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Used flocculant with no "Waste" option . . . . help?

What type of jets to you have? Wall jets? Floor jets? If you can, turn the jets away from the floor to avoid disturbing the settled floc. If you can't redirect all the jets to limit disturbance, can you plug some of them?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Maybe pick up one of those garden hose vacuum cleaners.

Guess you found another reason we almost never suggest floc.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry for your unfortunate situation. The garden hose vacuums will not nail this...it will only stir it up.
    I'm afraid your best be is going to be renting a trash pump from Home Depot then replenishing the water you lose. If he floc was the type that as to be vacuumed to waste (eg Alum) then I feel you will really want to use this method of removal and keep it out of your system/filter.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

If Home Depot doesn't rent a pump, your local tool rental will...........Lesson Learned..........and SAME for me..........ask your questions HERE, not at pool store, the guys here most likely would have walked you through the process and when they said you MUST always vac to waste after flocculation, it would have come to light. I flocc'd my pool and it was amazing how crystal clear it made it. Best wishes for an easy outcome, let us know how you make out

Bruce
    8M x 4M X 2M no slope IG CONCRETE w/ceramic glass tile
    17,000 Gal EMAUX SWG JAZZI FILTER W/1-3 mm glass media, Jazzi Multi-port valve with
    T-750 filter w/ glass media
    1 main drain sump -3 returns - 1 skimmer
    Kokido digital salinity tester, Kokida drops for CL Hanna digital PH meter, Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Just install a 3 port valve between pump & filter & adjust router setting to discharge/waste or to filter as needed.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PoolguyinCT View Post
    Just install a 3 port valve between pump & filter & adjust router setting to discharge/waste or to filter as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    great advice! Or even a tee and two ball valves. Might be a bit cheaper.
    113,000L indoor saltwater pool built in 1981. 1000lb sand filter, filed with quartz with 2hp single speed pump.
    4602L indoor saltwater whirlpool built in 1981. 500lb sand filter with 2hp single speed pump. Both controlled by chemtrol250 and Hayward pro swg's.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

It is seldom recommended to floc here, that I've seen. Generally POP (pool owner patience) is the advice given. Making sure you pass all 3 criteria before ending your SLAM, which includes running your filter and maintaining your SLAM level until the water is clear. Did you pass the OCLT before you did the floc?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by abycat View Post
    great advice! Or even a tee and two ball valves. Might be a bit cheaper.
    Don't go cheap... Go reliable w the 3 way

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by PoolguyinCT View Post
    Don't go cheap... Go reliable w the 3 way
    This. Ball valves ALWAYS stop working in way too short of a time. If you're going to go through the hard work of installing a valve, use a Jandy Neverlube, not a cheap ball valve.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

11. Back To Top    #11

My pool plumbing was done before I bought the house. They installed typical ball valves, the socket type, which means they are glued in place and like a few people have said, you will eventually have problems with them. I had one I could hardly turn the handle and one other was tight. I had a quality pool company come out and replace my entire header and install union type ball valves, they operate very easy and if you ever do have a problem with one, just undo the unions with a strap wrench and replace the valve body. NEVER put a socket type ball valve in pool plumbing.
    8M x 4M X 2M no slope IG CONCRETE w/ceramic glass tile
    17,000 Gal EMAUX SWG JAZZI FILTER W/1-3 mm glass media, Jazzi Multi-port valve with
    T-750 filter w/ glass media
    1 main drain sump -3 returns - 1 skimmer
    Kokido digital salinity tester, Kokida drops for CL Hanna digital PH meter, Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry