1. Back To Top    #1

FC to high?

FC 7.5
    CYA 60
    PH 7.8
    TA 100
    CH 210
    Salt 4780

5700 gallon fiberglass pool in central Florida, just installed a few months ago. I had a few minor start-up issues due to my ignorance and not the best help from the pool company. For example they did not put any chlorine stabilizer in the pool at startup and did not even tell me that I needed it for two months. That's when I found this site and started learning and testing myself.

I think things are going OK, but my FC seems to stay on the high side. My pump is running 5.5 hours/day. I have a Pure Chlor generator with 8 settings or levels. Chlorine was high and I had shut the generator off for several days until the FC went down to 4. I've been running it for about a week at the lowest setting and FC has crept up. Is this OK? I don't want to shut the chlorine generator off, but would consider reducing pump run time if that makes sense.
    5700 gal fiberglass pool saltwater central Florida
    Hayward equipment: single-speed pump, cartridge filter, heat pump
    Pure Chlor chlorine generator
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC to high?

You can reduce either the output of the SWG OR the time it runs. If your water is getting any cooler that will consume less chlorine as well.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, as stated water temperature can affect the amount of chlorine needed (as temp goes down, so does need). Also the amount of direct sunlight is a major factor. So with fall coming, the amount of sun is probably less than before and the angle could be different. And if using a cover would reduce need. So yes, reducing the setting and/or adjusting its run time are the two options.

My cover is on now unless we go out to swim, so that reduced the direct sunlight, and the temp has dropped as well, so further reducing. So I have reduced both my %age and pump run time.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

SWG is already at lowest setting so reducing pump time is really my only option.
    5700 gal fiberglass pool saltwater central Florida
    Hayward equipment: single-speed pump, cartridge filter, heat pump
    Pure Chlor chlorine generator
    Taylor K-2006 test kit