Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Questions about a bromine hot tub

1. Back To Top    #1

Questions about a bromine hot tub

We have a fairly new hot tub in a vacation rental and I'm pretty sure our service person doesn't add sodium bromide when he changes the water. He didn't think it necessary. He is certified-took the classes. We have a floater. Should I be insisting he do this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Questions about a bromine hot tub

Floaters can work to add bromine. More here on how it works, How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Floaters ARE bromine, from what I understand-they hold bromine tabs. But I thought at the start you need bromide to build up a bank.

4. Back To Top    #4

You are correct. The tabs add bromide, but very slowly. I assume the tabs add the appropriate amount of chlorine for the amount of bromide they dispense. This may, or may not, be enough sanitizer to deal with the bather load.
    New water should have 30ppm of bromide added to it. Then you can add an appropriate amount of chlorine to "activate" enough bromine for the bather load.
    I buy a "Startup Pack" of bromide for @ $3.00 when replacing my water.
    Then I add bleach to maintain sanitation and shock levels of bromine as needed.
    I use tabs in a floater as a supplemental dispenser in case I don't have a chance to test my water for a few days. It's mostly a "backup" to prevent my bromine level from ever reaching zero. I don't need the bromide that it's dispensing. That's already in the water. I'm just using it to dispense the chlorine that activates the bromine. The extra bromide added is not a concern.
    Hot Springs Sovereign (1999?)

5. Back To Top    #5

We don't use chlorine at all.
    Isn't there a difference between bromide and bromine?

6. Back To Top    #6

From the link pooldv provided How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?
    "First, you need to establish a bromide reserve in the water. Bromine tablets can do it by themselves but it can take literally weeks until enough dissolves. Some people crush about 6 of them up and put them in the water on each water change to achieve this but it really is easier and cheaper to add a packet or two of sodium bromide"
    Evolution Spas - Safari 24 - 290 Gallons - Running on 120v - Bromine sanitizer - Testing with Taylor K-2016

7. Back To Top    #7

That's what I've understood from what I've read and that's why I am wondering why our guy doesn't do it , especially having taken the classes and if I should insist.

8. Back To Top    #8

From the NSPF website (coloring via me): A CPO Certification provides individuals with the basic knowledge, techniques, and skills of pool and spa operations.

Basic knowledge. He does not do it because he does not know any better. Either he does what you want him to or you find someone who will. It is your money and your spa.
    Evolution Spas - Safari 24 - 290 Gallons - Running on 120v - Bromine sanitizer - Testing with Taylor K-2016

9. Back To Top    #9

Agreed, though this is the 2nd person we've used and I only know of one other in our small somewhat isolated town.

I have asked him , but is there any way ( with measurements) I'm able to tell if he's done it?

10. Back To Top    #10

On a related matter, how often should chemicals be checked if there are no rentals in the off-season?
    I'm thinking if we get up there every 2-4 weeks we can check it ourselves and that's good enough?

11. Back To Top    #11

Even with no bather load 2-4 weeks is too long to go without checking. You should look into getting a salt water chlorine generator. Then you might be able to get away with it (and without your pool boy).
    You might be able to maintain it with tabs in floaters but you don't have much control and they do run out, possibly before you get back there.
    A swg keeps running (as long as the electricity is on).
    Hot Springs Sovereign (1999?)

12. Back To Top    #12

Agreed, converting from bromine to chlorine and adding a saltwater chlorine generator is probably the best option for a scenario like that. It will maintain a minimum amount of sanitizer in the tub at all times. There are several options available. Saltron Mini is one popular model.

You would need to drain and refill to switch to bleach/chlorine. Here is how to maintain a tub with chlorine
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach