Pump not priming :(

Oct 6, 2015
TX
Hello Friends,
Hope you're able to help!
So I just noticed that the filter pump is not priming. It comes on but the water keeps filling and filling and doesn't reach over half the bucket (?). I did some sleuthing online and on youtube I found this video where the guy said that the connections might have sprung a leak (melted?) when the pump was pulling too hard (fall, too much foliage :( Should have been more careful!!!) I do see a ring of water sitting on top of the connections of pipes coming from skimmers to the pump.

But the pump does come on. So does this mean that only the connections need to be replaced?? Can a handy person do this easily? I found a video from "Swimming pool tips" guy on youtube.

Please help! Thanks!

calgal,

The number one reason a pump will not prime is a suction side air leak. Most of the time this is because of the seal, or O-ring, under the pump basket lid. I suggest you take the O-Ring out and inspect it. If ok, apply some pool lube and reinstall it.

One trick to see where the leak might be is to turn the pump on, and immediately take water from a slowly running garden hose and run it on the lid and input fittings and see of the pump suddenly primes. If it does, then it is a pretty good bet that is where the air leak is.

Jim R.

calgal,

The number one reason a pump will not prime is a suction side air leak. Most of the time this is because of the seal, or O-ring, under the pump basket lid. I suggest you take the O-Ring out and inspect it. If ok, apply some pool lube and reinstall it.

One trick to see where the leak might be is to turn the pump on, and immediately take water from a slowly running garden hose and run it on the lid and input fittings and see of the pump suddenly primes. If it does, then it is a pretty good bet that is where the air leak is.

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! I'll have to wait for my husband to come home to actually open the lid but I sure can run water over the lid :) Will check both and report back.

Thank you for taking the time out to help! Much appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.