Is it CREEPY to have a security camera pointed at the pool area?

I have 23 cameras installed and running under 4 different brands,it all started about 4 years ago when some clowns stole our 2 pumpkins off the front porch in October.Maybe the term "Clowns " isn't cool right now.
Sick huh? that's what my wife says too.I'm a nut over 5 bucks she said!, but its a challenge for a retired person who loves gadgets.I have one mounted on one of my garages back wall over looking the pool ,records on motion to my desktop and has a live feed 24/7.
Not only for security, but also I can check while away on phone, water level,pump running etc.
Caught my neighbors lawn co. snag my fence with ride mower so it paid off there.
Yes , even have a dash cam in Jeep.
Its in the garbage though if my fault.
Just another way to CYA, and no regents needed!

None of our "friends/guests" would ever question security cameras at our home. If they thought we were creeps, they wouldn't be friends with us. So for us, it's a mute point and an issue we wouldn't even think about. We currently have no cameras.

If you feel the need to install them, just do it.

what a coincidence i was just having my security system upgraded and the tech suggested fitting a camera to monitor pool area
so when parents are inside they can glance at tv to make sure everything is safe and nobody doing anything dangerous
yes i used to jump off house roof into the pool when i was young
when he said it i thought uncle pervy and am still not sure

I have one over the pool area that I added prior to our pool's construction. It was immensely valuable in the construction process. In fact, I was able to catch one of the workers who pocketed something I had left out for another subcontractor. (Nothing highly valuable, but hard to replace.) When I confronted him, he denied it. (I gave him the chance to just be honest.) Then I showed him the video of him putting it in his pocket on my phone and he quickly returned the item to me. Another time it saved me was when the plumbers showed up to dig up the backfill to do permiter plumbing, I had warned them to be very careful of a particular area where we had a community sprinkler system main. Well, this guy was showing no care and was closing in on the danger zone. I was watching live from my office. I quickly called our nanny and she was able to get his attention and have him talk to me. He had forgotten about my warning and disregarded the warning sign and orange spraypaint I left. Now that the pool is complete, I find it very useful having the camera on the pool and deck. I use the Nest cam so it can alert me when there is motion. I have kids, so I keep a child fence up, but it will still notify me if anyone goes out to that area. Also helpful to make sure the pool guy does his job adequately, landscapers, etc.

Fantastic idea. And a great security tool. Especially for kids when they start stacking outdoor furniture to enable them to scale the pool. fencing.

30K LT BRP fibreglass pool, Astral ZX150 cartridge filter, Astral EVO320 varible speed pump, Astral Viron Ai EQ3 SWG, Astral 9KW BPA400 heat pump, Dolphin DB1 robotic cleaner

We watched and recorded our entire pool build on the cameras and it came in handy but we won't take it down now that the pool is done. It's great when you aren't home and get a notification that someone is in your backyard. You can just look and see if they're allowed to be there. We have teenagers and sometimes they have friends over. I think having them also cuts down on liability and you can check to make sure they aren't doing anything stupid (like jumping off the roof or the back bond beam) and that everyone is following the rules.

If I'm having a party at my house, and with two kids, that happens on a regular basis, we hire life guards for the event. That truly puts Everyones mind at rest.

Cheap insurance for anything that might go wrong, and the parents can All relax. Especially me!

I'd probably feel creeped out if I saw a cam like that.

We've also hired lifeguards for parties and it is great so you can concentrate on being the host and not worry about the kids drowning. The cameras aren't babysitters or lifeguards but they certainly serve a purpose for security and preventing liability.

We have turned them off at times when it was just going to be us out there. Turning them off when you will be out there is always an option.

This is a screenshot of the app on my phone but it only records if there is motion. We have plans to install 3 more to get full coverage of the front of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We watched and recorded our entire pool build on the cameras and it came in handy but we won't take it down now that the pool is done. It's great when you aren't home and get a notification that someone is in your backyard. You can just look and see if they're allowed to be there. We have teenagers and sometimes they have friends over. I think having them also cuts down on liability and you can check to make sure they aren't doing anything stupid (like jumping off the roof or the back bond beam) and that everyone is following the rules.

We've also hired lifeguards for parties and it is great so you can concentrate on being the host and not worry about the kids drowning. The cameras aren't babysitters or lifeguards but they certainly serve a purpose for security and preventing liability.

We have turned them off at times when it was just going to be us out there. Turning them off when you will be out there is always an option.

This is a screenshot of the app on my phone but it only records if there is motion. We have plans to install 3 more to get full coverage of the front of the house.

What brand cam system is that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm going forward with the pool camera. We are getting our pool build in 2 weeks and I want to monitor the progress and document what the builder is doing. I saw another post on here where the owner caught the concrete installer cleaning his tools in the pool :eek:

The advantages are just too many for me to NOT install a camera. Liability, safety, monitoring it when we're away, etc. I am also going to install a camera at the equipment pad. They pick up sound so I'll know if the pump is running and will be able to hear if something sounds off.

I bought a Reolink system on Amazon for $550 (bit cheaper on the company's website). It has a 2tb DVR and 4 POE camera. Setting it up was easy and I can view remotely from my phone or any computer. I set to record only when motion is detected and you can select the area that senses motion. Bugs have been an issue though. Still need to dial it in a bit more.

Here's a spider that made an appearance near my front door at 1:00am and triggered an email to me....

XCPTP091790SJSGN_01_1699147149_zpsgqatafsr.jpg

Out of courtesy, inform your builder that the security cameras are live.
1. It's not cool to secretly record people 2. Good behavior will follow ie; drivers don't speed past a marked police car.

First of all, it's outdoors, so I wouldn't see anything that I can't already see in person (but grainier and from further away) and it shouldn't be capturing anything that people would expect to be private. Having said that, I'm with most of the others. It's a safety feature and allows me to monitor access remotely (motion sensor). I can make out shapes and count bodies and that's about it. When I'm around, I point it out to everyone, so nobody should be surprised, plus it's mounted very obviously on the wall of my house.

I guess I am the lone dissenter on this one ;)
Hubby had installed same in our pool area for all the reasons cited and I immediately ripped it out...

I just felt -- and still feel -- it's essentially bad manners to photograph/record people in situ without possible consent and it would be socially weird to me to inform people in advance of surveillance. The last thing on earth a guest needs in my private little paradise is to feel in any way "on camera."

Perhaps its a former-mediaphile thing, or an aversion to reality TV, or I'm just a Luddite out of step. Or maybe its just because I swim naked a lot and don't feel anyone needs historical covert access to that footage ;) Don't wanna traumatize future generations ;)

I guess I am the lone dissenter on this one ;)
Hubby had installed same in our pool area for all the reasons cited and I immediately ripped it out...

I just felt -- and still feel -- it's essentially bad manners to photograph/record people in situ without possible consent and it would be socially weird to me to inform people in advance of surveillance. The last thing on earth a guest needs in my private little paradise is to feel in any way "on camera."

Perhaps its a former-mediaphile thing, or an aversion to reality TV, or I'm just a Luddite out of step. Or maybe its just because I swim naked a lot and don't feel anyone needs historical covert access to that footage ;) Don't wanna traumatize future generations ;)

+1 to this....except for the skinny-dipping part....it's creepy and I don't like surveillance

I swear...........if i put a camera on my pool and told MY friends........they'd all start showing up in costume!

But I do have a wired Arlo Q back there I use to monitor the deck, windows, couple doors and occasional daughters dog when we're gone. Was kinda nice to see it raining while we were in Vegas too. Also have a wireless Arlo to monitor front door above and behind anyone who comes up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.