How much did you spend on pool maintenance this summer?

May 9, 2016
Lynchburg, VA
I was inspired by another thread to post this. I think it would be good to share what we spent on pool maintenance this year to show folks how cheap the TFPC method is. Here's a breakdown for me:

Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda$85.79
First Test Kit (Taylor K-2006)$64.99
Reagent Refills$65.47
Pump maintenance and parts$33.87
Polyquat for closing$21.85
TOTAL$271.97

I had some extra expenses this year that I don't think I'll have next year. For example, I won't need to buy a whole new test kit next year (this is my first year using one), and hopefully I won't have as much trouble with my pump next year. I'm very happy with this. The previous owner of my home told me he spent on average $500 a year on chemicals alone.

EDIT: I should note I had about 8 pounds of Cal-Hypo shock left over from the previous owner, which came in very handy for a SLAM at the beginning of the summer and a couple other times when I was going away for the weekend. I think that would have cost me about 40 dollars if I'd bought it myself, though I would have used liquid chlorine instead if I didn't have that.

Last edited:
I spent $ 145 so far this year...been keeping track of everything since january chemical wise.

The electricity for the pump is $ 10 per month = $ 50

And i spent about $ 30 a month for gas heating may-sept = $ 150

So $ 345 total expenditure this year to have the pool. Not bad!

I think about 26$ on CYA. about 18$ on salt. My VS pump only uses 180 Watts which comes out to be about 12 a month on electricy. My pH is rock solid so I didnt use any MA. Thats about it for me. ..oh! and I did buy a new skimmer net. 22$.

Let's see. This was the first year owning a pool so this will be interesting.

After TFP:
  • Chlorine - $40 * 2 = $80
  • Test Kit & Reagents = $184 <-- overbought reagents. Learning experience
  • Baking Soda = $10
Total Cost for four months = $270

Before TFP:
  • Pool Shock = $63*2 = $126
  • Algaecide = $24*2 = $48
  • Chlorine Tabs = $130
  • Cyanuric Acid = $80
  • Baking Soda = $20
Total Cost for two months = $404 <-- those were all the receipts I could find

New pool so still getting things dialed in. My pump electricity costs and muriatic acid fills drive the cost up. No more adding bleach so that expense is gone. Here is the breakdown from mid July till now.

Initial bleach months = $80
Muriatic Acid = $120
Electric Cost = $100 (roughly) x 4 months = $400
Excess water = $20 x 4 = $80
Test Kit = $80
Total cost for 4 months = $760

Here are my monthly costs:

Chemicals:
21/2 gal bleach per month $1.45x2.5 = $3.63 ... say $4
1 gal MA about $6.50
Reagents about $2
Total $12.50

Fun Support:
Margarita Mix
Tequella
Other Beverages
Plastic Disposable Beverage Glasses
Replacement pool toys for grand kids
Total mega $$$$

Fun Had:

... priceless!

Setsail,

I guess I do not understand. How did you get by the whole summer on 2.5 gallons of chlorine? Also living in Florida, I could not get by on 2.5 gallons of chlorine a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pabeader,

Even a month is remarkable. I wish I could get that kind of use out of our chlorine. I need to know the secret of only losing 14 FC a month, instead of my 2-4 FC a day. /nod

pabeader,

Even a month is remarkable. I wish I could get that kind of use out of our chlorine. I need to know the secret of only losing 14 FC a month, instead of my 2-4 FC a day. /nod

Put a bubble cover on your pool. A covered pool has very low FC loss....however, your cost in bags of ice to keep the water from boiling may go up....

Put a bubble cover on your pool. A covered pool has very low FC loss....however, your cost in bags of ice to keep the water from boiling may go up....

Hmm... I could cut up carrots, potatoes, and tomatoes into the pool for soup... kill two birds with one stone!

Setsail,

I guess I do not understand. How did you get by the whole summer on 2.5 gallons of chlorine? Also living in Florida, I could not get by on 2.5 gallons of chlorine a week.
Usage is avg per month. Peak was a little higher. I guess the reasons are totally enclosed pool gets less sun, about 35% smaller than your pool. 9 hr per day pump time? Cl is 10.5% liquid from Leslie's. My acid use is pretty high at 1 gal per month...I'll double check to see if I missed a purchase but I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.