Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chemicals to have on hand?

1. Back To Top    #1

chemicals to have on hand?

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum but have been lurking for months...very impressed with the website. Anyway I am a new pool owner and was wondering what chemicals do you guys keep on hand? I am just taking over care and am getting ready to pick up some chemicals. What all do I need & how much? I know I will have to test regularly & that will tell me how much to add but I don't want to make daily or weekly trips to the store. Also where does everyone buy chemicals & what are chemicals/brands you guys like and dislike? Lots of questions I know.
    19K gal w/ spa, IG pebble, Pentair Quad DE filter, Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Legend cleaner, Pentair Mastertemp heater, built Sept 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chemicals to have on hand?

Welcome to TFP!

You need a baseline set of tests first. Some pools have low pH and TA and some have high pH and TA. Most likely you will need pool salt, CYA, muriatic acid and bleach.

I buy pool salt, CYA and muriatic acid at Lowes and I buy bleach at Kroger, 8.25% store brand. I generally keep 4 gallons of bleach, 1 jug of CYA, 1 bag of salt and 1-2 gallons of muriatic acid.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response.
    19K gal w/ spa, IG pebble, Pentair Quad DE filter, Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Legend cleaner, Pentair Mastertemp heater, built Sept 2016

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP ag0207

You'll need a good test kit like the tF100 and keeping liquid bleach stocked up for daily additions. The other items as mentioned by pooldv you'll likely have around once your tests indicate you need them as you likely won't use them up when you make an adjustment so you end up having them on hand. All the stuff we use is pretty easy to pickup at a grocery store, walmart or a big box store. Some people have a little trouble finding stabilizer (CYA) but at worst it's a couple days away with Amazon or Ebay. Well that and DE. Remember to use only DE that's specifically recommended for pools and not the stuff they use for gardening.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 25-58 Brrr
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I'd also like to add that the Poolmath feature is worth it's weight in gold to accurately calculate your chemical additions and check that your working within the recommended parameters.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006