Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time closing questions

1. Back To Top    #1

First time closing questions

Hello all,

Today my wife and I performed the necessary steps to prepare the pool for closing. We increased the FC to shock level, dropped the water level to approximately 4" below the return, and blew out the lines (previous owner had filter installed on an equipment pad approximately 30 feet away so lines run underground). We just need to cover it. I have two questions:

1. Is it absolutely necessary to ensure every drop of water is removed from the lines? I think we got the vast majority of the water but there may be some pooling in the line underground. With no way to check, is it a big deal if there's a little in there?

2. Since we're in NY, should we have something under the cover for the winter for freezes? I could probably get a plastic 55 gallon drum from work; is it necessary?

Thanks in advance!
    13,500 gallon AG pool, vinyl liner, Sparco SF-40 Sand Filter, Hayward Power-Flo LX pump (1.0 HP, 60 gpm), filled from city water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time closing questions

I never put anything under my solid cover. I add pool antifreeze to my lines... done!
    32x16 inground chlorine. 23000 gallon with diving board
    vinyl liner 1hp hayward super pump. Waterway sand filter new in 2014.
    maytronics dolphin m200 robot. I live in central NY.
    TF100 kit Taylor speedstir. Sonos audio

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

1. Is it absolutely necessary to ensure every drop of water is removed from the lines? I think we got the vast majority of the water but there may be some pooling in the line underground. With no way to check, is it a big deal if there's a little in there?

No, if you allowed the blower to run for about 45 seconds to 1 minute on each area, then you are fine. It really also depends on what you used to blow out the lines.

2. Since we're in NY, should we have something under the cover for the winter for freezes? I could probably get a plastic 55 gallon drum from work; is it necessary?

What type of cover? Probably not needed.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Adding RV water system antifreeze is great insurance for what you might have left in the pipes. Available at auto parts store, big box, hardware, .... Look for it on sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Kiss4aFrog:

Is it really $1.00, or am I missing something? The cost on line is outrageous. Thanks!
    Date of Build is 11-2013

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

That's a one dollar rebate offer. Walk in price should be some where $2.50 to $5.00 a gallon. Doesn't matter what brand you get.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay thanks everyone! We have a solid winter cover and the manual does say it's designed to sit on the water so I don't think I'll use anything under it!

i think I'll also add a bit of RV antifreeze to the lines. Thanks for the speedy responses!
    13,500 gallon AG pool, vinyl liner, Sparco SF-40 Sand Filter, Hayward Power-Flo LX pump (1.0 HP, 60 gpm), filled from city water

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

On line, it is $30 per gallon (Wow). I skip the Anti-Freeze all together.

Last year, I took a 4' 3" schedule 40 PVC (filled with water 95% level) with cap and it was closed off. Left outside leaning against deck all winter through the cold. In the spring, popped it open with rubber mallet (other side glued) of course and there was no damage from expansion. I think it is underground water that freezes and expands causing pressure everywhere that could potentially lead to a problem. This is why drainage around a pool is so important long term.
    Date of Build is 11-2013