Pool Re-plaster 101

Jul 25, 2010
Folks,
Do we have any 101 documentation re: pool replastering? I think she's starting to go. It's 16 years old,so no complaints. What I'm seeing are very small pin head to nail head sized pock marks with what looks very much like the grey metal shell showing through. Not many, probably half a dozen or so. I'd like to keep it going for as long as possible but it seems like it's inevitable and I just want to educate myself as to the process and most importantly the 'pitfalls', (no pun intended.)

Thanks

Plaster doesn't need to be replaced until it doesn't hold water anymore. Eventually it will leak enough that it has to be done. Everything else is cosmetic and personal preference. Gray metal shell? Most plaster pools are plaster over concrete. Are you sure you have plaster over a metal shell?

Here are a couple of technical articles on plastering a pool.
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster
Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems

Plaster doesn't need to be replaced until it doesn't hold water anymore. Eventually it will leak enough that it has to be done. Everything else is cosmetic and personal preference. Gray metal shell? Most plaster pools are plaster over concrete. Are you sure you have plaster over a metal shell?

Here are a couple of technical articles on plastering a pool.
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster
Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems

Thanks. I'll take a look. Yes, I meant concrete. Metallic looking would have been a better description. So, the fact that the plaster is going in small spots wouldn't cause damage to the concrete base?

Thanks

Thanks. I'll take a look. Yes, I meant concrete. Metallic looking would have been a better description. So, the fact that the plaster is going in small spots wouldn't cause damage to the concrete base?

Thanks

It's clearly thinning but you'll know when you need to replaster.Ours started coming off in flakes and chunks before our replaster last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.