Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Re-plaster 101

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Re-plaster 101

Folks,
    Do we have any 101 documentation re: pool replastering? I think she's starting to go. It's 16 years old,so no complaints. What I'm seeing are very small pin head to nail head sized pock marks with what looks very much like the grey metal shell showing through. Not many, probably half a dozen or so. I'd like to keep it going for as long as possible but it seems like it's inevitable and I just want to educate myself as to the process and most importantly the 'pitfalls', (no pun intended.)

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Re-plaster 101

Plaster doesn't need to be replaced until it doesn't hold water anymore. Eventually it will leak enough that it has to be done. Everything else is cosmetic and personal preference. Gray metal shell? Most plaster pools are plaster over concrete. Are you sure you have plaster over a metal shell?

Here are a couple of technical articles on plastering a pool.
    Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster
    Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Plaster doesn't need to be replaced until it doesn't hold water anymore. Eventually it will leak enough that it has to be done. Everything else is cosmetic and personal preference. Gray metal shell? Most plaster pools are plaster over concrete. Are you sure you have plaster over a metal shell?

Here are a couple of technical articles on plastering a pool.
    Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster
    Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems
    Thanks. I'll take a look. Yes, I meant concrete. Metallic looking would have been a better description. So, the fact that the plaster is going in small spots wouldn't cause damage to the concrete base?

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Generally the degradation of the plaster has little if any effect on the shell. If the shell has problems like exposed rebar then that's a differ problem.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by iceflow View Post
    Thanks. I'll take a look. Yes, I meant concrete. Metallic looking would have been a better description. So, the fact that the plaster is going in small spots wouldn't cause damage to the concrete base?

Thanks
    It's clearly thinning but you'll know when you need to replaster.Ours started coming off in flakes and chunks before our replaster last year.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Iceflow, Can you please add you pool and equipment info to your signature as outlined here - - > Pool School - Getting Started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all for the information.
    Thanks
    Plaster In Ground, with Waterfall Spa. Raypak Heater, Nautilus DE Filter DNS48. Built about 2000.